What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

My habits are changing and over my vacation I spent more time on my Chromebook than on my other hardware, including using it to watch tv episodes online when I was sick. Ive been a desktop person for so long old habits die hard but you started me down the laptop path.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Which I'm quite proud of. :D

Once you start getting used to the freedom of setting ANYWHERE to work on your computer, it's hard to go back to desktops.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Second Chromebook came in and its in mint condition, battery still holds around 7 hours of power, versus 9.5 hours for my new one.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My main complaint about Chromebook is, printer support is a mixed bag. Ive got an older Canon from 2015 and it simply wont work. The newer Canon my wife has is supposed to work but there appears to be issues that wont resolve. My newer cheap HP printer connects and works fine with a USB cable.
Ive tried both wifi and USB with the other two printers. It appears they prefer to support mostly newer printers so Ill keep that in mind for the future.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still exploring accessories such as usb hubs,vga to hdmi connector and usb ethernet adapters.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The printing is what made me dislike ChromeOS. Never got my printer to work with it. I'd like to try the newer versions of ChromeOS to see if that has improved, but not willing to spend the money to risk not liking them. Although any that mr chromebox firmware runs on does make a pretty good full pc.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The native support option and being able to plug into the Chromebook directly is quite an improvement. HP and Epson appear to be the best supported even though a newer Canon printer is the no 1 pick. If you use HP youll have no issues but Im using the Canon so my wife can use it at times, otherwise Id be using an HP.
Im using mine mainly for entertainment as its battery life, great screen and no heat issues makes it great for watching content in bed.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just got my usb ethernet adaptors in for the chromebook and it works great. You have ro turn off the wifi and reboot and it sees it immediately.
Strange thing though is the mouse stopped working so I added a small usb hub and plugged the receiver into the usb 3.0 port and it works now.
Not sure whats going on there.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on my Latitude 3500. Working quite well. Still surprised how cheap the lady sold this. REALLY total steal for what I got it for. Even with it's limitations (TN 15.6" 1080P LCD), and it's questionable decisions by the design team (rubber so hard that it doesn't grip anything). Still surprised how much I like it given my normal hatred for 15" laptops. Currently have Neon on it, still running fantastic. Have recently upgraded from the Intel 9560 AC + BT 5.0 to the AX200 AX + BT 5.0 card, but that was a VERY inexpensive upgrade.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using mostly 14" laptops presently but overall I prefer 15" for everyday use.
Site Moderator