What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Some of the recent Inspirons can be had in colors but havent looked as I dont deal on the laptop side much. Desktops they definitely have different colors.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Really, I don't remember seeing any. Now you're going to go make me look for a yellow laptop again...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont deal with the laptop side but I recently got a small business brochure from Dell and they showed Inspiron laptops in colors. I already own Dell desktops and my favorite is the red one.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I haven't had a yellow laptop in a long time. My dekstop is silver & black with blue lighting all over. Quite nice. But obviously not portable. 2/3 Dell's, 1/2 Lenovo's, and the Acer are black. The other Dell, Lenovo, and my Chuwi are all grey/silver. Some are better looking than others (honestly, that Yoga 3 is sexy), but I'd like to get rid of something black and something silver and get something yellow if I could find something in a size I liked (13.3 or 14) with a FHD lcd for not a ton.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

For me, that just comes up with a "page cannot be found" error from Dell (not a 404).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Sorry I fixed the link.

Colors are available both with the Inspiron and XPS lines.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Friend of mine sold me a Dell E6400 2.27ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 80gb HD, had Vista on it but of course Linux will be going on it instead, for $35.
7200rpm HD and WXGA 1440x900 matte display which looks amazing. Original base price in 2009 was $1139 -$2007 and was sold thru late 2011 and refurbished sales thru mid 2012.

My D430s are frankly slow and too small and Im going to use the E6400 at work as a knock around laptop. Ive got my E5410s I use for other things so this should work out very well.
E6400 is a bit heavy but in its day was an excellent business laptop with quite a few extra features and good battery life.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Although Exx10 is a much prettier laptop than the Exx00 IMO. :D

Had a bunch of E5500's floating about that I had upgraded and resold that I swapped out the Txx00 processors for P9600's and maxxed the ram. I still know one person using it as their primary laptop, and with linux on it, it still works quite well enough that they to this day feel no great need to upgrade, other than having replaced the original 60 GB drive with a much newer, faster and most importantly still functional 160 GB drive a couple years ago.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For $35 it will be running Linux and helping me run the property. If it goes down, not much lost. The D430s had c2ds at 1.2ghz so moving to 2.26ghz with more ram(4gb presently but can use 8gb, D430 could only use 2gb) and a better hard drive will offer me a better experience.

More and more Im using older/cheap, somewhat disposable hardware, to serve my needs.
Site Moderator