What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

It's a great laptop. It's a little larger than the T495/T14 in every direction. Maybe 1/4" wider, 1/16" deeper, and .5mm taller. But still far from being BIG. If you have need to use ethernet on the laptop itself, the ethernet plug is near the FRONT of the left side, which is...weird looking and can possibly catch things depending on how you work. If you use it on a docking station or wireless, not an issue. The KB/touchpad is either the same or REALLY similar to the T14's. No fingerprint reader on here (unless power button doubles as one like on a Dell, but 90% sure Lenovo hasn't implemented that yet), but you're going to have to give up SOMETHING for the savings from the T14 to the L14, and that's MORE than acceptable to me since I don't use biometric authentication regardless.

Port selection while arranged differently, ultimately is pretty close to the same. 2 USB-C ports (1 of which also includes the new dock port), 2 USB-A ports, lock, micro-SD, ethernet, HDMI and a single headphone jack.

Audio is essentially identical. Not a ton of volume (although quite adequate), no bass, and tinny above the 75/80% volume range. So par for the course for business class laptop audio.

Ultimately, if they'd just move to BASE 1920x1080 instead of the horrible, unusable (to me) 1366x768 resolution, I'd say the L series would be the way to go. You still get the V-Pro/Pro features that some people/businesses want (unlike the E series), but at a SUBSTANTIAL price decrease compared to the T series. And while you do have to make some sacrifices with it being a little larger, a little heavier, and not having ALL the options, ultimately it has the important options for most. And the size is easily justified by the fact the fact that it doesn't have the soldered ram so that you can buy a base model, then upgrade the ram yourself for HUNDREDS less than Lenovo charges.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont really mind 1366x768 but yes once youve seen a 1920x1080 it really is a gorgeous display. Only my Dell 7370 and Acer 15 Chromebook have the 1920x1080 displays.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I never liked the <whatever>x768 resolutions. My VERY FIRST laptop I ever owned had that resolution...in 1996. In 1998 when I bought my SECOND laptop, I had 1280x1024 resolution. In 1998. I considered 1024x768 to be unusable low resolution at that point. I haven't changed my mind about that since then, even if it's stretched out to a widescreen format. Right now, ALL my laptops except the Chuwi have 1920x1080, which the Chuwi has 2160x1440 (3:2), which is definitely my favorite resolution I own for actually accomplishing things. But so few laptops are made with 3:2 aspect that for the foreseeable future, doubt I'll get more 3:2 aspect laptops.
wove

Post by wove »

My Surface Go has a 3:2 aspect ratio, which I find very nice. It has an 11" screen, which is way to small. I have the scaling set to 175% and that still makes some things a challenge to see. The Pi 400 is hooked up to an old 28" Vizio TV, which has a resolution of 1360X768. My old failing eyes find that so nice to use. The PineBook Pro has a 14" 1920X1080 screen and with scaling on it set to ~150% I find it a nicely usable display.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Smallest Ive gone so far is 12.5 with my Dell 7270 but really prefer 13.3-14in screens. I use my Chromebox with my 28 inch Vizio tv and it also works great 1366x768, as my eyes arent getting any younger.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

12.5-14 is my preferred range. I have went down to 10.1?6?something with a cheap laptop I had configured for a friend. It was 1366x768, and FOR ME that was still far too low a resolution for that size screen. Although I do think 1080P might have been TOO high for it. I'd have liked something like 1600x900.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was surprised that I liked the Dell 7270 12.5 laptop a lot more than I thought I would.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My wife finally admitted she loves the Dell 7370 and has been using it a lot. I really like the Ultrabooks for their lightness but they still have good performance and battery life.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've definitely fallen in love with the L14. I'm SUPER loving the just shear POWER of this thing, while still running cool enough that I don't even FEEL it on my lap, even after 4-5 hours of usage. While the T14 is more powerful, and is a bit thinner and lighter, it's also definitely a bit warmer running, and has had some BIOS issues in it's short history (which at this point I'm realizing is just common for Lenovo).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the drawback of the 7370 as its a fanless device and it gets pretty toasty at times so you dont want it on your lap for very long.
Site Moderator