What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by wove »

Progress on the Pinebook Pro has been frustrating and painfully slow. Manjaro is the only distro that gives good hardware support, so starting with the minimal install I built a Budgie DE on top. It has proved to be quiet usable. There are still power management problems, but it has gotten good enough to be workable.

So it is a 14" 1920X1080 2.5 lb aluminum laptop that runs for ~10 hours. It is arm based so it stays cool. The keyboard is very good, and with some firmware updates, the trackpad has become very good as well. I have had it now for ~1.5 years and it has become a nice playful putz around the house machine.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I have zero experience with anything ARM based but that may soon change as more mainstream laptops are coming out using ARM. Ive always stuck to well supported hardware that fit my needs such as research/testing and gaming. I toyed with buying a Pi 400 but changed my mind.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I want Risc-V!!
wove

Post by wove »

Everything I have read concerning Risc-V has been pretty exciting. Open source hardware would be pretty grand. Haiku has already been ported. Build your own hardware, build your own OS, what's not to love
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

EXACTLY!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My boss is leaving so Ive got her 16 year old HP SFF with a 3.4ghz Pentium D and 8gb of ram. Going to play around with it and add an SSD and see if it can run well enough with Linux to actually be used.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I imagine so if you go with something super lightweight for your WM/DE. WM only build or something incredibly lightweight as a DE like Trinity or FVWM-Crystal.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Actually I was running Q4OS 2.7 KDE on it and it ran very well, except online where the system has some issues depending on the site.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Apparently the HP DC5700 can run a E6700 2.66 C2D which might make it a bit more useful.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Is that the one that's currently got the Pentium-D?