Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Im toying with the idea.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My 7400 is in!!

This thing is small. It's a 14.1" LCD, yet because of the slim bezels, actually has a SMALLER footprint than the 3379 (13.3" LCD)!! Verified everything's working on it, and then popped in my 1 TB NVMe SSD and X200 wifi card. Discovered that it's a 1x16 GB ram instead of 2x8, so obviously you can't have it running in single channel mode, so I went ahead and ordered a second 16GB (matching part number), so it'll be upgraded to 32 GB.

Initial impression is impressive. Now I need to get Arch installed and configured. I may do that tonight...I doubt it though.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

32gb thats impressive. Ive just made it up to 16gb on many of my systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My OLD desktop was actually at 32GB (4x8GB), and I want to upgrade my existing desktop to 32GB if I don't upgrade the desktop (I really would like a newer Ryzen), but I doubt I'd spend the money on a full upgrade anytime soon. At least until 12+ core processors are far more affordable. I wouldn't bother spending the money to upgrade to another 8-core. While the Zen-2 core is MASSIVELY superior to the first gen clock for clock (and it runs faster), I just don't do enough to bother with that type of upgrade since it's an OEM board and I'd need a new board/case/psu in addition to the CPU.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No new desktops for me. Ill keep my last gaming rig but thats it as I dont do research, testing nor other projects any more, so much newer system really isnt needed. Most of the projects Im into these days are retrogaming and older hardware troubleshooting/performance.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've got Arch installing on the 7400. WOW, this thing is really tiny and light for a 14"!! I was kinda regretting that I won since I really didn't want to spend that kind of money, but I'm reconsidering now. It's even a fair amount smaller than the 7490, which I thought was darn small for a 14". Also includes a webcam cover in the hardware. And has Thunderbolt on it's USB-C port. And the m.2 slot they actually built a head spreader into the retaining mechanism to help keep the SSD cool and running at optimal!! I'm very impressed with the design of this.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was reading an article on the 7400, I see what you mean.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The weird thing with the 7400 is that there is 2 versions, and they're not very similar. The 7400 that I got is a standard laptop, then there's the 7400 2-in-1 that I would have preferred, but I couldn't find any for less than $300 more. The 2-in-1 has 2 USB-C Thunderbolt 3 ports instead of 1, and no barrel connector for power (using ONLY USB-C for power). It's also a bit thinner and lighter. I'm guessing that a lot of other people thought the same way, which is why I won the auction at a MUCH lower price than I would have expected it to go.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive only tried one 2-1, an HP model awhile back and it was ok but my habits overall dont really make it a must have.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have no use for 2-in-1's as such (I have several, the Samsung, 3379, and 7375 are all 2-in-1's), but the fact that it doesn't have a barrel connector and instead has 2 USB-C ports instead of 1 make me like it more.