What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Why it was Hyundai/Sapphire I have no clue as I havent researched it yet. Maybe Hyundai owns Sapphire? Use to love their older Radeon cards the 9700/9800s.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Different companies though. None of the companies that share a name are actually involved. Neither Sapphire the graphics card manufacturer, Hyundai the car manufacturer, nor Hyundai the parent company of Hynix. Totally different company from all the above.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was assuming Hyundai was there because of Hynix and is there another Sapphire company? I did the research on the guts of the drive which are a clone of a similar drive sold by PNY and got good reviews.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

From what I've found, it's actually a company called General Procurement, Inc. out of Santa Ana, CA. They license the name for Marketing purposes.
wove

Post by wove »

Hyundai is the 6th largest company in the world. They build super tankers, cargo ships, laptops, computer storage devices including SSDs, USB thumb drives and SD cards, and of course Hyundai cars. Odd what companies get into. Yamaha builds motorcycles, and some of the finest concert pianos in the world. GE builds nuclear reactors and coffee pots.

The Sapphire line is Hyundai's name for their less expensive line of SSDs. The Tom's Hardware review is here;
<https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/hy ... ,4948.html>
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

There are many large industrial conglomerates that dabble in a wide variety of products. Hyundai is to South Korea what Mitsubishi is to Japan as they also have a wide array of products and subsidiaries. They buy other companies along the way and diversify into many areas.
Thanks for the review as Ive already read quite a few but none mentioned why they used the Sapphire name.

To tlmiller it doesnt surprise me as many companies market products with names for branding purposes only. Some tech companies go out of business and another will buy their name and stick it on their product even though it has no association with the make or quality of the product.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Thinking of selling the Latitude 7410. While there's nothing wrong with it, simple fact is that I wanted the clamshell version, not the 2-in-1. So swapped the 1TB Sandisk ULTRA NVMe into the desktop today to replace the Toshiba XG4, then did a systemctl set-hostname, installed the AMD gpu firmware, and installed alsa-tools-gui to retask the jacks on my motherboard outputs to have 5.1 audio. And in like 30 minutes, had my desktop fully back up and running with the correct hostname, 5.1 audio instead of stereo that the mobo supports default, and accelerated graphics. Now upgraded to 2TB of hard drive in here, 1TB Sandisk NVMe Ultra (all linux + ESP) and a 1TB (960GB) OCZ Trion 150 that is now ENTIRELY dedicated to Windows!!

Course, that means I need to recreate my Void Linux, Trinity DE, and Mate DE VM's now...

The desktop since I've made a few changes:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I like the clamshell over the 2 in 1 as well. Ive really enjoyed the 7470 and have grown to like the 7270 more than I thought I would with the smaller screen.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here on the NEW (to me) Thinkpad L14 (R5-4650U/32GB/1TB/AX200/1080P 14") that I just picked up off Craigslist, reinstalling my Latitude 3500 getting it ready to be sold (after stealing the memory and drive out of it for the L14, and putting the L14's memory and drive in it). Nice laptop, 6 core, 12 thread, and Neon took the swap without a SINGLE glitch, didn't even have to install any new packages. The L14 is nice because it's the ONLY model of normal (not mobile workstation class) business machine Lenovo still makes with 2 DIMMS. T14/E14 have 1 DIMM + soldered, T14S is entirely soldered. The down side is this is ALSO the only business model that's still sold with a 1366x768 LCD, so you have to be careful when buying to make sure you get one with a usable LCD.

While for a 15" I liked the 3500, I won't miss it. Anytime I used it off the dock it annoyed me since I would set centered on the keyboard, which would make me NOT centered on the LCD since it's a 15" laptop and has the +10 keys.

The new L14:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You are just a shopping machine, LOL!! I had to get use to a 15" laptop when I got my Acer Chromebook and realized I really preferred my original 14".

Post back with your comments about L14.

I wish all laptops still had 2 dimms.
Site Moderator