What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by tlmiller »

As long as Arch continues to be a good distro, I'll never center on a single. But Debian is my standard go-to if I can't get others to work, or others have too many issues. Debian is the best at "just working" out of the box for me. Although for now Arch is staying put, as is Neon and ROSA. Although ROSA better get their act together with packaging Firefox, I won't stand for that being unusable forever.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Mint is my typical go to distro but right now ROSA,Netrunner and MX18 are my main picks.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Friend sold me a Dell Optiplex 7010 SFF barebones really cheap. I already had parts so I just set it up with a i5 3470, 8gb ram and a 500gb drive and good to go.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I found a really good deal on a XPS 9360. i7 8550u/16GB/512 NVME SSD for $560 shipped. I don't think I'm going to get it though since I just bought the 5289 not even 2 weeks ago. Although for those specs that's a great deal.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You really are a tech addict, LOL!!
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah. Luckily I can sometimes convince myself not to buy new toys. If it was truly CHEAP, I can guarantee there's no way I would have resisted purchasing.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I use to be that way back in the old days, till the reality of the world set in and money wasnt as abundant.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I'm still on the upswing. I make more now than I EVER have in my career, and if I get the job that I'm interviewing for this afternoon, I'll be getting another rather decent raise.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive become more of a general user and tech really isnt that important to me any more. I keep up on things to a point but use my specialized knowledge of much older hardware far more often,as people contact me all the time for help.

When I was a hard core gamer tech was first and foremost and cost wasnt a problem.
Windows also forced many of us to upgrade to move to newer OS versions and games but with Linux thats not the case.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, for me still doing desktop support as part of my day-to-day job I still keep up on everything.