What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

The issue here though is the cpu and gpu are getting hot and many times the cpu starts things off first, so somethiong is off here. Could be the age of the system and the thermal compound on them is dryed out. Fan works and is clean so not sure. The Intel based GPU E6400 doesnt have these issues and runs much cooler overall.
They are old laptops and sometimes they just get cranky.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If I remember correctly, they use the same heat pipes/fans for cooling, there's not 2 dedicated cooling systems. So either overheating will negatively affect the other, and decrease the cooling available for it, thus allowing it to then overheat as well.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Checked Dell tech guide and youre correct. Heatsink on left attached with screws has heat pipe running from it to second heatsink on right that has a fan. Gpu overheat would affect cpu directly. Might have to try the Nvidia drivers and see if there is an improvement.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It came down to installing Thermald( hardware cooling monitor) from Synaptic and now the temps and frequency of the fan has improved hugely. I assumed that most distros had it installed by default but come to find out that many dont including some of my Debian based distros.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Always shocked me that thermald also isn't installed as part of the TLP package. Seems like those would go hand in hand to me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So far MXLinux 19.1 handles the temps much better than any of my other distros including other Debian based distro,very imporessed. Not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that its my only XFCE distro. Thermald is also not installed yet temps are the best Ive seen.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Here with the A485 with the new Sabrent Rocket-Q. Moderately new hard drive family, they use QLC (same as the Intel 660p & Crucial P1), but they're the latest 96-layer, not the first generation 64-layer, and they use the newer Phison E12S controller that's been further optimized (and die shrink to allow it to run faster & cooler) so it blows prior QLC drives out of the water, while still keeping costs at a minimum. While it can't keep up with the HIGH end drives, it leaves the 660P & P1 in the dust in performance (I still have a P1 1TB setting on my kitchen table).
Still has (reinstalled) Fedora on it. Still running nicely. Selinux once again gave me no end of issues. Trying to reset up systemd.automount on here, and it just keeps telling me it can't find the untit files. Took like 10 minutes before it occurred to me to do a

Code: Select all

restorecon media-soth-*
. Needless to say, that fixed it. Other than that, setting up the hardware swapped laptops has went smoothly.
Here's the updated desktop:
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Pink! :shock:
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, my other pink desktop was wiped with all the hardware shuffling, so this is now my Pink one. I had SOOOOOOOO much yellow on the new Razer that it was too much even for me, I'll post a pic of the desktop on that in that thread...it's still far brighter than you'll like, but it's toned down a LOT from what it was when I first set it up...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Re-setup my Dell 7010 usff with my large screen tv using Feren OS and it works great. No issues with resolutions or refresh rate.
Site Moderator