What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by wove »

I assumed that the key type was related to the type as well. When I purchased the adaptor for the Pinebook Pro. It matched the key for drives I had, but it used a different controller interface. I ran into the same issue when I picked up USB adaptors to use with the Raspberry Pi NextCloud. It is confusing that the key is not tied to the interface controller type. The upshot is that I have quiet a nice collection of drives and adaptors.

I have a large amount of total storage, but I have it spread over a collection of smaller external drives and thumb drives. Not sure how I arrived at such a mess. I have pictures on one documents on another etc. Also now days I do everything around the house, so no data is very far away.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Most of my external drives are empty. I have far too many. I have 4 external enclosures with 1TB drives in them (2xNVMe, 1xSATA 2280, 1xSATA 2242), plus another little 2242 enclosure with a 256GB. None of them have ANYTHING on them, because I keep it all stored on my NAS (although duplicated somewhere else, as well, varies as to where). I was specifically trying to avoid having ANOTHER drive lying around, which is why I bought only 1 2TB drive, as I only have enough PCIe slots in my desktop for this one last drive, after that, only SATA ports for 2.5" drives left open.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got a huge number of older spin drives sitting in boxes. Ive got quite a few 2.5 ssds now but quickly headed toward stick drives only. Adapters, enclosures and cables abound.
On a different topic Im trying to decide if might pick up maybe a Dell Latitude 7490 to run Win11 on. Thats why I asked you what you were selling you were selling yours for.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They're nice laptops, if I hadn't had one for 4 years now, I'd be keeping it still.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Short term I think it would be a nice buy and certainly with its performance will be viable for quite some time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

AND it actually supports Win11. The difference in performance from it's immediate predecessor, the 7480, it rather gargantuan. While the Kaby Refresh quad cores run significantly slower in frequency than the Kaby's, having double the physical cores gives quite a performance boost overall. Physical design they're basically identical to the 7480 however...
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

2TB drive arrived earlier than expected, I'm installing the T14 with it as I type this. 1.1TB /, 900GB /home. Ah....some room for games, roms, and VM's!!

I do have to say, Endeavour's installer, despite being Calamares is REALLY effecting, and pretty darn fast, to boot.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Donated my Dell latitude 4310,6420,6430, and two 3340s. Down to 8 laptops presently as my wife uses two and I use one at work. Not going to purchase or trade for any more laptops for now. Will skip looking fort a 7490 as I really dont want to run Win11 and have been using a friends laptop for client work.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

@tlmiller Do you use Virtual Machine Manager for VMs on Endeavour OS?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes. I much prefer it to anything else I've ever used. Although it's a bit more irritating to get working on Arch than on Debian.