What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

Slight change in my hardware habits. Decided to pull out the Dell 7010 SFF and use it as my everyday system with the SSD installed. Laptops, Im still using at work and home as my portable systems, just not with the dock any more. I want to be less limited by the docks issues and I still enjoy tweaking a bit so the SFF gives me something to play with. The SSDs have really made my SFFs fly and Im upgrading the i3 to a i5 3450 Quad. My SFFs generally have i5s in the 3ghz+ range versus the laptops that are in the i5 2.3-2.6ghz range.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I put Anarchy onto my Inspiron 7375. Despite being only a 2 month old install, I was seeing issues with the Void install. Still going to watch Void (and still have 3 VM's of it over 2 pc's), but I won't be running it on bare metal for at least a little while. Just still too immature of an OS.

A lot of the issues that Arch had with new installs have been fixed recently. Not all. But a lot.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just upgraded my Dell 7010 SFF to a i5 3450 3.1ghz and added the new 2.5-3.5 adapter to use the laptop SSD hard drive. System runs great and the difference in usability is quite amazing. 3 more to go.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dell 7010 boots quicker then the E6440 laptop having used the same SSD with Mint. Desktop comes up in 5 seconds, amazing.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Given the significant TDP advantage of the desktop processor and power restraints on the motherboard comparatively, not that surprising.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im also running 3.1-3.2ghz i5 on the desktop and 2.3-2.6ghz i5 in the laptops.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, that's the TDP advantage, they can run WAY faster because they use from 3x to 5x the power.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just started up Q4OS 3.9 KDE and it also was up in 5 seconds. Im sure this will seem more normal in time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Updates on the Inspiron tonight. Latest kernel. It's FAST to boot with Arch on here. Like faster than Neon, Void, or Fedora ever were (strangely, I've never had Debian on this hardware). Although to be fair as you're seeing, the difference between FAST and average with an SSD is 2-3 seconds...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its gotten to the point where Im having SSD/distro races trying to see how fast it will boot with the same hardware.
Site Moderator