crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

They are twins, interesting.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Not sure why I didnt spot it but I had already updated much earlier my Dell 7010 SFFs (with the Intel microcode for the Ivy Bridge cpus),but I totally missed the fact that Dell released a new bios in Jan 2019 for the Sandy Bridge cpus which I updated tonite.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

yeah, Dell's been releasing a LOT of firmware updates for their business lines in April-July of this year. I think the latitudes at work (3390's) got 3 updates already this year.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

One of the things I love about Dell is they provide UEFI in OS bios updates with Ubuntu. Presently I use a basic Win 7 install to do updates on bios as I have a lot of similar systems and Win7 is a Dell disk.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I like that Dell built the ability to flash the uefi bios from within the bios. So it doesn't actually matter what OS you're running, you can flash the bios if you have a Dell.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For the average user bios updating from within the OS is just easier and honestly I prefer it myself even though Ive used other methods as well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've used the updates from within the OS, but I don't like them all that much. I don't trust Windows Update to get my bios updated properly, and it's just quicker for me to do the updates manually IMO than from within linux with the updates (plus they don't pull down and install with apt, you have to 1. use a gui or which I uninstall all gui apt/aptitude/dpkg/etc. frontends on every OS I use or 2. use the specific tool that searches for the updated firmware and downloads and installs (which I do have installed, but never use)).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

When doing it thru Windows 7 the system reboots and does the bios update outside of Windows 7.so no real issue. Ive used F12 and bios update as well, and Ive also used it from within Ubuntu with no issues. In my case Im doing this for myself,friends or clients. My friends and clients want easy ways to do them so I find this method far easier and havent had any issues whatsoever.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Still waiting to see what my wife is going to do with Win7 on the way out. Depending on which way she goes I may upgrade a bit, sooner than planned.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm on my 5289. Just installed a 9260 wifi in here after ordering an AX200 to try out in my Lenovo (temporarily using a 8265 until the AX arrives). I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY love this laptop. If it had an 8th Gen instead of the 7th gen processor, this would be my favorite laptop despite being Intel.