What hardware are you using?

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: What hardware are you using?

Post by crosscourt »

It was a bit odd when I added the ram as the laptop acted a bit funny at first and I had to reboot it again then everything seemed to be fine. My first thought was it was incompatible ram.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I can't remember, but Sandy Bridge didn't yet support DDR3L, correct? Are the DIMMs DDR3L by any chance? That could maybe explain it, DDR3L can usually run at the 1.5v of DDR3 (I've seen a few that weren't rated to do it, but most have been), but don't always make the transition to 1.5v well...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Sandy Bridge does support ddr3L so probably not the issue. I believe the ram I bought is 1.5v.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I knew Ivy Bridge did, but couldn't remember for sure if Sandy Bridge did yet or not...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I love the Sandy Bridge cpu so far, as performance is excellent. Best all around laptop Ive used so far.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Sandy Bridge has the distinction of being hte last time hardware had more htan a single digit improvement from generation to generation until the release of the 8th gen processors. Ivy Bridge improved on the efficiency of Sandy Bridge, Haswell improved upon that even futher. Broadwell improved graphics significantly, skylake was just a minor improvement in all ways, then kaby lake really was just a refinement. Kaby Lake Refresh/Coffee Lake was then the first TRUE performance improvement since that old Sandy Bridge. You could compare your laptops to the Kaby Lake replacement processors, and on cpu-intensive tasks, the Kaby's would only be 15-30% better, despite being 5 GENERATIONS newer!! Now, as a system, far more improvement with the much faster memory, probably NVME SSD, etc. But CPU ALONE, very little actual improvement through all those generations.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Pulled out the USFF test rigs and decided to use them so I can run some other distros. I stick to using the laptops on their own and use the USFFs to run various distros Im doing short term testing on. Netrunner and Neon so far but deciding what others to try.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Setting in Carl's Jr. having some lunch while playing around on my E6440. With the new keyboard, I enjoy being able to carry this around and use it again. Heaviest (by far) laptop that I own, although it's actually not that bad (lighter than my work laptop), and it actually still works extremely well. ROSA on it still working fantastically well.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its a nice laptop as I also enjoy my E6420 very much. One has ROSA the other has Mint 19.1 Cinnamon.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Whats really great is, since I moved away from Windows I can use my older hardware far longer with Linux.
Site Moderator