RCA TABLET

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: RCA TABLET

Post by crosscourt »

Maybe you can find a hardware alternative used.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If you just want a linux tablet, while it's not very new, or very high performance, I had multiple distro's running on the white EEE PC Tablet (I think they called it the slate?). The accelarometer never worked (and never tried to make it w ork), but other than that it worked out of the box in every distro I tried. Required a USB hub to install since if I remember it only had a single USB port, but worked fine with my basic USB hub that I have. I know I got mine cheap when I wanted to get it, and after spending $30 on a new battery, I ended up selling it for more than I bought it for.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I actually bought an Amazon fire tablet last year...never even took it out of the box...I thought this tablet was dying...so I unplugged it for a few days... It works fine,as long as I leave it plugged in all the time...kind of a burden....I'll get around to using the Fire tablet eventually. I'm just lackadaisical...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive never owned a tablet so really havent had that experience but really dont see in my case what it could offer to me.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

It's actually quite user friendly,and quicker to get on than a computer. It's also super portable,,,more so than a laptop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Everything I do needs a keyboard and a decent display.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have two 10" tablets and although they are only used occasionally they are handy when I want to do something in the garden or garage but need to get references from either web or another local machine (i tinker a lot!). I know I could use my phone instead but I do prefer to have a bigger screen.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I leave my computer up most of the time so getting on it or my laptop is a snap. I dont use a smartphone but most of what I do with work and online work is easier on a laptop/pc. I just take my 13In laptop with me when I need info on the move.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I might give tablets a look as Im planning right now for my hardware needs during retirement. I wont have a lot of money and my needs have changed a lot so it might be a decent option.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I quite like having a tablet for certain occasions and when I have to travel it is much easier than a laptop to use in public places as you do not need to place it anywhere. I have mine in a flip case with a built in keyboard which plugs in when needed which is very useful for emails etc. It also has a sim-card for mobile data and I can use it as phone if needed.

My grandchildren and great-nephews/nieces are very rarely without their tablets, but that seems to be the way most kids are nowadays. :roll: