RCA TABLET

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

RCA TABLET

Post by CaptNoize »

How hard would it be to change the OS on this RCA tablet...? Would MX-18 work on it...? Mint...? :? Love to dump this current OS...Totally sucks... :x
crosscourt

Re: RCA TABLET

Post by crosscourt »

Im assuming your tablet is running Android. Its not impossible but it is difficult. You might want to post the model number and the OS its running so we can take a look.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

What's the model? If it's a ARM tablet, then it's not actually hard to replace the OS, it's the bootloader that's insanely hard to change out.

If it's a x86 or amd64 tablet, then it may be easier, although probably still not super simple. Most of them have that weirdo 32-bit UEFI implementation that while much better support exists in modern distros than did 5 years ago, it's still not flawless.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

This model # is RCT6103W46
There isn't any pertinent info in the manual about any hardware,just that it,s running Google.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

It appears it has a Quad core ARM 1.4ghz cpu, 1gb DDR3 and 16gb of flash storage. It runs Android 4.4.2 KitKat so as tlmiller mentioned, OS isnt the problem but the bootloader is going to be a pain.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Some good information at xda-developers that might point you in the right direction,
https://forum.xda-developers.com/?query=RCT6103W46
and it is an armv7 according to these specs.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

tlmiller will more than likely have to walk him through it assuming its actually worth doing.
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I'll wait to hear what TL thinks....it may not be worth it. :?
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I have seen it done. I have never been successful at it myself. I've been able to jailbreak them and use modded Androids (cyanogen usually, which is no longer developed) to have more up to date software, but I've never managed to replace the bootloader completely to boot linux on these type of tablets. As I said though, I've seen posts of people who's succeeded, so I know it's possible with sufficient work.

IMO, it's probably not worth it, as the support for that particular hardware may or may not be that good, and it's not a straightforward thing of "plug in this, boot, do this". It requires development kit software to do, and requires flashing the onboard ROM directly through the development software in order to upgrade. It's NOT easy.
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

To high for my pay grade.....