Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

System76 new Darter Pro

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: System76 new Darter Pro

Post by tlmiller »

Larger than I like, but good looking specs if you don't mind the size.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Galago series is 13-14" more your style. www.system76.com/laptops/galago
Site Moderator
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Nice...but again...too rich for my blood....
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its a brand new laptop with a nice feature set, so the price is high. Find that feature set in an used older laptop that still has good performance and youll pay far less.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

ACtually, the Galago isn't priced horribly. I configured one upgrading to 16 GB ram and a 500 GB SSD. $1179, or $1243 with NVME instead of SATA 500 GB SSD. That's VERY similar to the price you'd pay for a similar Dell or HP. No it's not cheap, and no I can't afford it, but that's NOT overpriced!! I think that's the first time I've seen a laptop from System76 that wasn't overpriced.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Capt and I dont have deep pockets so the price for us is very high.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

OH, it is very high, but usually System76 is INORDINATELY high. LIke hardware that would cost $1000 from Dell/HP selling for $1600. Like Apple level overpriced. This, while definitely expensive, isn't more than a comparable system from a major OEM. IMO, that's the first major step in having people actually consider System76 (other than the fairly well-to-do). Now they just need to aim a bit more towards the likes of us, where $1100 is an absolutely HUGE transaction that simply won't happen unless it's an utter NECESSITY, like for medical reasons. I for one would LOVE to be able to support System76. But I wouldn't consider a system like this if I was looking for something new when I know there's systems like my Inspiron 7375 out there that have more or less the same specs for HUNDREDS less. And even that I couldn't just purchase, I had to finance (although paid off now).
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

Thankfully, I can function with a tablet,and 2 old desk tops. I Don't need the sophisticated systems you guys need to do my work. Both of you,are Eons ahead of me,with your knowledge and work requirements... :)
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't NEED the new stuff, but I really love testing hardware. So I make sacrifices to be able to have new stuff. I probably do need a reasonably recent desktop for some of the things I do, but laptops I could easily function with older ones (and still do, I regularly use my EOL E6440 still)