Going wireless

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Going wireless

Post by crosscourt »

As I change my overall setup in my test room, Im moving from being mostly wired with peripherals to going wireless. Logitech one of my old sponsors, was nice enough to send me a freebie MK270 kb/mouse to start with. I purchased anther one along with some M185 mice for my laptops. Desktop I got a Logitech M310 mouse which is very nice as Im using all of this for everyday tasks. Ive still got my wired gaming kb/mouse setup for my gaming desktop to use. Ill never use wireless for gaming even though its improved hugely.

Pulled all the cables from my Dell monitor that was acting as a USB hub to my hardware and the desk has gotten far more spacious and less complicated.

Results have been good as Ive had no issues and performance is good.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Going wireless

Post by tlmiller »

I actually did that quite a long time ago for a while (when the receievers were more like actual base stations!!). My only issue I ran into was the fact that I didn't like the keyboards. So I have since went back to all wired keyboards so I can have mechanical keyboards, but still have some wireless mice. Although some have went back to wired, but not for any reason other than they're cheap and I'm hard on mice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Being a gamer I could never deal with the issues with wireless in fast paced gaming. Even the Logitech G7 still wasnt as good as the G5 wired.
I remained that way for a long time and would still not used wireless for gaming but my habits have changed. I dont have a large desk anymore, Ive got a lot of systems and too many cables, so finally decided to make the move. Battery life and the performance of wireless peripherals has improved hugely so I really enjoy using it more now.
Im still amazed though that my Logitech G15 and G5 still work very well.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I use my Logitech MK320 on my desktop (keyboard and mouse) to keep the wire clutter down and the battery life is fantastic, I think it has some standby power feature as I leave it on all the time but it still lasts for a really long time, the mouse doesn't last as long as keyboard but I think that would be expected due to the internal workings (led used). I can't remember how long I have had it but I know it has been some years :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

All the Logitech wireless peripherals use a sleep feature which enables very quickly compared to some others Ive tried. Im a bit biased having been sponsored by Logitech and using their products for long time but Ive tested a lot of hardware over the years and consistently for me Logitech has been the best Ive tried in all ways. The M310 I got for $10 and its very comfortable. Tried it in a few games actually and it did very well even though it lagged a bit in one of my multiplayer shooters.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My m510 just recently died. Surprising that it died, given the general fact that Logitech peripherals are the polar opposite of Killer peripherals. They're usually not all that incredibly fancy, but man do they work and last. Killer, very fancy, never had a piece of their hardware last more than 1 year. And I've had several.

I still use a Logitech G700 at work. But I use it wired because the battery life is such garbage. It's actually the mouse that convinced me to stop using Logitech. Worked well, but for a wireless mouse it only would get ~4 hours on a charge. Had replaceable batteries, which I tried, but it came with a good battery, and it didn't increase the battery life significantly replacing it. After that, I've used mostly Kensington wireless mice, or wired mice that were cheap since most of my mice get abused and wear out.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have two problems with mice in general,
1.) pads on the bottom wear out and one will come off and leave a wobbly mouse although it is only a very small wobble it is still annoying.
2.) I have twice had to replace the scroll wheel sensor (acts as an axle for the scroll wheel) as they often either stop working or become intermittent, this is a major pain but I have dismantled so many mice over the years that I have quite a few parts I can use for repairs.

And yes I'm a old school fix-it kind of guy not a modern throw it immediately and get a new one type. :D
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

dai_trying wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:18 am I have two problems with mice in general,
1.) pads on the bottom wear out and one will come off and leave a wobbly mouse although it is only a very small wobble it is still annoying.
2.) I have twice had to replace the scroll wheel sensor (acts as an axle for the scroll wheel) as they often either stop working or become intermittent, this is a major pain but I have dismantled so many mice over the years that I have quite a few parts I can use for repairs.

And yes I'm a old school fix-it kind of guy not a modern throw it immediately and get a new one type. :D
I agree with both. #1 I've learned quite well how to create new pads, #2 is one of the reasons I keeps cheap wired mice around. This is the single most common point of failure for me (in fact my main mouse at work is starting to have this issue (NOT the Logitech)).
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

It's good to know it's not just me :)

I have to add that my failures have been with cheap mice so not really unexpected...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The cheap mice and the Microsoft mice had wheel issues all the time, but have never worn out a Logitech so far. Pads are easy to repair and Logitiech depending on the age of your mouse will offer you a free pack of pads. G5 is the only mouse Ive ever owned that I wore out the pads, but it depends on what surface your using the mouse with, as mouse pads and very smooth surfaces rarely damage the pads. Keeping the surface clean as well as the pads will reduce the issue.
My older game mice had the ability to be repaired and given the amount of gaming we were doing that happened at times.
Site Moderator