Ryzen hardware "soft lock" issues

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Ryzen hardware "soft lock" issues

Post by tlmiller »

So, after researching, seems this is an issue with the kernel not being able to enumerate iommu devices properly from the bios. Long term it should be fixed via firmware, but as I find the correct kernel parameters, I'll try to post them here if anyone has these devices. These need to be added to the grub command line to allow proper booting and not crashing.

I can confirm this one is correct:
Dell Inspiron 7375
amd_iommu=on ivrs_ioapic[4]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[5]=00:00.2
tlmiller

Re: Ryzen hardware "soft lock" issues

Post by tlmiller »

As an aside, this may have also been causing the issues with the power dropping out on my dock. I've been using it (now with Neon) for several hours, and it hasn't dropped the power once since adding this fix.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got no experience so far with your hardware but have seen complaints in the Dell forums.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Since finding the correct settings for this hardware, I haven't had a single failed boot, haven't had a single disconnect from the dock, and haven't had a single lock up. So I dare say that this issue is responsible for every problem with Ryzen laptops w/ linux. Sadly, each model has a different motherboard so the ivrs_ioapic arguments are different for each, so the ones I posted will ONLY work on the 7375. But they most definitely do work on that model, and have made it work absolutely flawlessly.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Just found this in a thread on Lenovo's sight, if anyone has a Lenovo E485/E585, the correct overrides to use are ivrs_ioapic[32]=00:14.0 ivrs_ioapic[33]=00:00.1