9 in 1 card reader

Discussion of hardware related issues
CaptNoize

9 in 1 card reader

Post by CaptNoize »

I don't think my card reader is working in my HP a1710n. I'm using MX-17 on it. Does it need a driver for the reader..?
crosscourt

Re: 9 in 1 card reader

Post by crosscourt »

I dont think so but I can only speak to my experience on Dell's. It may be the age of the system as its 2006 or it could be a mechanical issue. When did you use it last? Is it enabled in the bios? Is the drive connected to the motherboard, check cable.

My card readers on my all my Dells work fine with no additional actions needed.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Is that an external reader or built in?

If built in, what generation is that? I ask because I know with MOST kernel versions every machine I have that was Broadwell generation the card reader FAILED to work (it does in the most recent 4.17/18 kernels).
CaptNoize

Post by CaptNoize »

I'll check it out....I got to explore what generation and make it is. I'll get back to you on this...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Your HP is from 2006 so having a card reader issue isnt that uncommon but you could use a USB based card reader which could get around the problem if the internal isnt working. Ive got two desktops from 2009-2010 with internal card readers and both work with MX17. MX17 I think is using the 4.14 or 4.15 kernel so it should be fine.
Site Moderator