Change of heart, going to Chromebook

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Change of heart, going to Chromebook

Post by tlmiller »

If not for games I would have been Windows free outside of work for a bit over 10 years now. But I do need to keep that 1 install for games. That's all I've had for years now though. Back in 2007/8 timeframe I finally had enough of Windows and moved everything to linux only except my desktop and at the time 1 laptop (it was a gaming laptop). After getting rid of the gaming laptop and moving to laptops that don't game very well, I only kept the desktop running Windows. Although my #1 laptop (the INspiron) could game, I just have no interest in having more than 1 system dual boot anymore. Since almost everything I play is in Steam, if Steam does eventually play pretty much any Windows games on linux at acceptable levels, then even that 1 Windows machine would be retired. I just dislike the OS anymore, and have for a long time now, I honestly stopped liking it around the release of Win98 SE.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

As we speak the infrastructure is being worked on for future streaming of games and my opinion is we will see it by 2020. We will reach a point where Windows wont matter and gamers will have the freedom to game however,whenever and wherever they like. Ive been working on an article for another site for months about this issue and the news is all good. Console makers already know its coming so they are preparing behind the scenes for the change in the market.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I think Ive got her talked into going Chromebook instead of Windows 10. Probably going to go new and the Acer Chromebook 14 is one of the ones Im looking at but 13-14 inch appears to be the preference. Also thinking of going with a Chromebox for her office so she can use her large monitor for projects.

Assuming LucidPress can do what she needs in lieu of Microsoft Publisher and we can get a Microsoft Office app of some kind on it, it should work.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Does anyone make NEW chromeboxes? I haven't seen new ones since SkyLake.

IE - I know they still SELL them, but are there any new models with processors newer than Cherry Trail/Braswell/SkyLake?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No there arent any new ones, as the present models have been around awhile. I was speaking to new versus used as there are some good deals on used ones. Acer Chromebook 14 is one that looks pretty good at this point. I need to get her to go over to Best Buy and try one so she can see what its like.
Site Moderator