Change of heart, going to Chromebook

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Change of heart, going to Chromebook

Post by crosscourt »

My wife really doesnt want to go to Win10 and has had some interest in Chromebooks that can use Windows Office apps. It would be a good option as she also uses Google drive and occasionally Google Apps. Problems, she prefers MS Publisher but you can also run Linux apps on Chromebooks so that can probably be worked out. She also preferred using a desktop at home and a laptop on the road, so if I could find a dock for a Chromebook maybe so she can use a larger display at home. Things to explore for 2020.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Change of heart, going to Chromebook

Post by crosscourt »

I see USB 3.0 docking stations are available which would work fine as my wife has a nice HP display in her office she prefers.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ok looks like LucidPress may be a good alternative to Publisher,gets excellent reviews and has Google Drive collaboration features.
I also see that they do have desktop versions of varying types like Chromebox and ones with all in one design.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The newer chromebooks with the ability to run Debian apps are honestly starting IMO to be completely decent choices. I always loved some of the chromebook hardware (given I've had 6 or 7 of the devices), but the OS always left me wanting and I always did aftermarket firmware to run various Linux distro's instead. Now, I honestly think I could quite happily run chromeos as long as it had the linux apps ability active.

My only recommendation would be to make sure to get one with a decent screen. They're not INSANELY common, but not hard to find either. But the chromebooks that have 720p lcd's generally tend to use REALLY CRAPPY 720p screens. While stepping up to the 1080p screens almost in every case gets a really nice LCD.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill keep that in mind and my wife is going to use her monitor part of the time so Ill leave that up to her.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Looking at used Chromebooks on Ebay, any suggestions? I still have to do more research.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

What size does she want? I'm (not surprisingly) a fan of the 13.3" & 14" models. In that size, I REALLY like the older HP Chromebook 14 (14-ak050nr/14-ak060nr, different sku's for different colors, otherwise identical), with their 1080P MATTE 14" LCD's. However, they're not the fastest (quad core baytrail) and they're not very new so they'll probably never get linux apps in production.

I'm also a big fan of the one I tried to buy, the Dell 7310. This is available in 3 different models, the top one having a core i5 and 8 gb ram. The two lower models have a Celeron and an i3, and only 4 GB ram. All have a FHD 13.3" touchscreen. It's pretty hard to find the 8gb ram version, but it's a SUPER nice machine if you can. Again, older and will probably never get linux apps in production channel.

For newer devices, I REALLY like the looks of the new Acer Chromebook 13. It's not cheap, but it has a core i3 (only dual core, but you can get an i5 w/ quad core for $100 more), will have linux apps, and 8 gb ram even on the entry level one (I know the spin upgrading to i5 also doubles ram, not sure if the non-spin does as well).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

13.3 - 14 inch but shes used the Dell D430 a 12 inch model. She wants access to Windows office online and may need to run Lucidpress, thats it.
Shes headed towards Google drive so thats a consideration. The articles I read mentioned 2016 or newer to get Linux apps but a few mentioned some 2015 models might get it. 4gb is probably fine, wont argue with 8gb if the price is right. All her use is word processing, some image manipulatio/.Publisher.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Chromebook 14 looks nice and its well priced on Ebay. i have to see what year it was launched which will affect whether it gets Linux apps or not.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My wife tried a recent HP Chromebook X2 and loved it but shes just getting her feet wet, as she wont be switching just quite yet. 2020 is the date we both decided to freee ourselves from Windows if possible.
Site Moderator