E series docking station issues with Linux

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: E series docking station issues with Linux

Post by crosscourt »

To me Ubuntu Mate is Ubuntu as I cant identify with Ubuntu with Gnome 3 and the way it looks and performs. Im truly amazed though how many distros cant work with a e series dock. My D series dock worked with most distros regardless of DE.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

You think E-docks are difficult, try using displaylink docks (usb docking stations)!!!

All the current laptops no longer have true dock ports, so have to use either USB port reps (which universally suck IMO) or displaylink docks. We've gotten a couple people up and running, but a few simply WON'T work (same docks, same laptops, same os, same firmware on both dock and laptop), and a few work but drive the CPU utilization up so far that it's unusable on it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No Im aware of the issues as ive already had friends, former clients and online users, coming to me about the recent USB docking stations. Dell decided to make a move to them and they are regretting it heavily. Another reason why I like older hardware better at this point.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

PCLinuxOS though is very quick on the E6400, Im impressed with its performance.

So for now Neptune, OpenMandriva and PCLinuxOS all work with the dock.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I really want to get a USB dock to try to use one. Regardless of Dell or other (they all use the exact same displaylink hardware). But I don't want to buy one myself. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

E series docks are $10-$15 so its a great choice.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, but they don't work with my Yoga, or my Thinkpad, or the Latitude 7490, etc...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I was talking about my hardware in regards to the dock or anyone using E5xxx/E6xxx series laptops.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

PCLinuxOS ended up having some minor issues Ill need to work out but retried Kubuntu 18.04 and installed it. Install went fine and its up and running with no issues, with good speed and 370mb ram usage, not bad. Not sure why the live cd didnt work the first time so it bodes well that Ill be able to use Neon when the 18.04 version comes out.

All the XFCE distros i tried refused to work, with Linux Lite 4 coming the closest to installing. Definitely KDE is the way to go and Im glad Ive got some options.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've been using my new Arch install on my E-dock today. Not even the hint of an issue. Kubuntu also works well, and although I have nothing that has it installed anymore (that works with the edock, that is), Debian was working great with it. I haven't tried Fedora on a dock in quite some time. Maybe later this year I'll see about replacing the E-dock with a USB dock just so I have the option of using external KB/Mouse/Monitor with all my laptops again (assuming I can get them to work). Arch should be easy, they actually have the displaylink drivers packaged in AUR.