Acer FINALLY updates Firmware for Meltdown/Spectre

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Acer FINALLY updates Firmware for Meltdown/Spectre

Post by tlmiller »

So checked again today and found out that Acer FINALLY released an updated firmware a few weeks ago for the Meltdown/Spectre vulnerabilities. Had to use Gandalf PE to flash it since it's only released as a Windows executable (no surprise), but worked without issues doing so. So Firmware upgraded from 1.09 to 1.26 now.

Also got updates from 1.33 to 1.41 on the Dell Latitude 7490, which surprised me since it had already gotten it's Meltdown/Spectre updates.
crosscourt

Re: Acer FINALLY updates Firmware for Meltdown/Spectre

Post by crosscourt »

Its a pain with the bios updates as i either have to use Win7 or FreeDOS. I wish companies would get to the point where it can be done directly thru the biios chip.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

If you ever need updates on ones that require windows if you have a spare 8GB+ USB lying around download Gandalf PE and put it on there and use it. Windows10 based PE with a TON of system utilities preinstalled, but most importantly, it's a Windows environment that runs live so you can flash BIOS. That's what I used for a couple of my old HP's and my current Acer. Dell has the ability to flash from within firmware built in, and Lenovo makes a bootable .iso that can be used for flashing (after running geteltorito on it) so both those companies are linux friendly in that regard.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ill take a look at the Gandalf PE( I think I may have tried the Win7 version at some point). My 7010s cant do it from within firmware as Dell recommends using FreeDOS but I find using a dummy drive with Win7 is far faster. Looking forward though to having a 2015 or newer Dell where I can do it from within firmware.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

My Dell laptop (UEFI) has an option to install firmware updates, although I used Win10 to do the last one as I forgot about it, the next time there is an update available I will try using it.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

dai_trying wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:16 am My Dell laptop (UEFI) has an option to install firmware updates, although I used Win10 to do the last one as I forgot about it, the next time there is an update available I will try using it.
IT works great. If it's got Linux on it, the easiest way to flash is to move the .exe onto /boot/efi partition, reboot and do "update firmware" and the first file system it defualts to is /boot/efi, so it'll be setting right there to select. Although putting it onto ANY USB will be accessible as long as you leave it inserted when rebooting (uefi firmware update won't read a USB that's inserted after going into it). This capability is one of the biggest reasons I recommend Dell so highly, because it makes it EXTREMELY friendly for linux users. NO need to do freedos, no need to create a boot drive, just copy the update onto /boot/efi, reboot, f12, and flash. After finished delete it from /boot/efi and golden.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

Your post made me check for updates and I have 1 so will install it now using this method, thanks for the info it must be easier not having to mess around with USB sticks. :D
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yes, it is a lot easier with never having to worry about USB's. One of the features I think Dell far and away surpasses any other OEM vendor in how they do it.
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

It sure is! that was totally painless!! I know there are not many BIOS updates but it is good to know that if I wipe Win10 completely I don't have to worry about this in the future.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

dai_trying wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:42 pm It sure is! that was totally painless!! I know there are not many BIOS updates but it is good to know that if I wipe Win10 completely I don't have to worry about this in the future.
Ain't it fantastic? Anything Dell w/ Haswell or newer will have this ability.