WEAK!!!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

WEAK!!!!

Post by tlmiller »

righttorule Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga Pro 3 13 Intel Core M-5Y71 8 GB soldered DDR3 Intel 5300 256 GB SSD N/A 3200 x 1800 13.3" Softmaker FreeOffice 2018 + LibreOffice 6
Picking it up tomorrow after work. They USUALLY have broadcom wireless, I have both an Intel 8265 and a Atheros QCA9377 setting here so I'll probably put the Atheros in it.

Don't know what OS to run. Probably end up with YADM (yet another debian machine).

$275 in person.

Yes, I named it after Gilad Pelleons Star Destroyer.
crosscourt

Re: WEAK!!!!

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!!! Another system....... ;)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

My chromebook is getting ready to leave since I had already posted that since the "new" chromebook was supposed to replace it. This has specs EXCEEDINGLY similar to that Dell chromebook, so this is the replacement for that.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I knew about the other system being sent back but didnt realize you were buying the replacement so quickly.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Hadn't planned on it. But this popped up literally last night on Craigslist. ANd it meets all my needs. 256 GB ssd, check. 8 GB ram, check. Full processor not atom based, check (it's a core m). 12.5" or 13.3" LCD, check. 1080P or better, check, this is QHD. Affordable, semi-check. Didn't want to spend nearly $300, but given these have been discontinued for about a year now and they still sell for $800, it's not a BAD price.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its an excellent price, a great buy.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Just to make sure it stayed registered, I upgraded it to Win10 1803. It was still release Win10 (which is EOL already!!). I also went ahead and installed the QCA9377 to replace the BCM94352z wireless card. No issues with it complaining (I believe Lenovo stopped whitelisting before this generation, but couldn't remember for sure).

Runs pretty good with Windows 10. 3200x1800 resolution, so actually does require setting scaling on. It wants to default to 250% scaling, but 150% is quite pleasant. Any more than that and IMO everything is far too large onscreen to be usable.

Overall, shows some use, but in good condition. I can't wait to get linux on there for the touchpad. Windows only uses single click, no two-finger click or two-finger scroll. And no software that I can find installed to enable it. How do people use laptops nowadays without 2-finger scroll????? :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Some cant coordinate 2 finger scroll, LOL!
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Got it set up. Debian 9 w/ Neptune updates.

One of the worst keyboards I've ever owned. SUPER short travel, so there's almost no feel. But I knew that would be the case. Obviously, with a 3200x1800 resolution LCD, it's GORGEOUS. Also touchscreen since this is a convertible 2-in-1. Touch works perfecty. I'll never use it...

One oddity, on this system I could not get lightdm to work if i-nex was installed. I know I had that issue with the Ubuntu build of i-nex, but I hadn't seen it with my Debian built i-nex. I even built i-nex on this system and it still failed. Meh...switched to sddm. With 8 GB ram, the few MB extra that SDDM uses won't affect me.

Runs well, as to be expected from a Broadwell chip w/ 8 GB ram and a 256 GB SSD. Screen is nice and bright. If this had a better keyboard, it could very well be my favorite laptop. But they used this keyboard in order to achieve how thin and light the laptop is. So I understand the compromise. Not sure I'd have made the same decision. I don't regret purchasing this for even a second, but I'd gladly have 1/8" thicker laptop for a better keyboard.

Now I need to finish getting Neptune configured on the Chuwi... :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad it worked out and 3200x1800 I cant even relate to as 1600x1200 is the highest Ive used with my systems even though ive gomne somewhat higher on our joint gaming system.
Site Moderator