WEAK!!!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: WEAK!!!!

Post by tlmiller »

The Chuwi and this are honestly beyond what's usable. 3200x1800 and 2736x1824 on these small screens (13.3" & 12.3" respectively) are far too small to use comfortably. I am able to read the screens and can work from a TTY, but it's far from comfortable. It absolutely needs to have scaling active to make it so that you can comfortably use it. 1080P or 1440P (2560×1440) is the highest easily usable resolution on these screens. And on a 12.3", not sure that 1440p would even be comfortable (it is on a 13.3"). These high res screens are entirely for bragging rights really for the company. They're beautiful, but since you're scaling everything, it makes it rather a waste. However, since I didn't spend a ton, it's worth it.
Last edited by tlmiller on Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My eyes popped out when you mentioned the resolution versus the size of the screen. Ive got older eyes so 1600x1200 is about all I can stand for everyday use outside of gaming.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I love 1080P from 12" up to 14". 15" and up really for me nearly requires 1440P to be usable. While I can tolerate 1080P on a 15", I don't find it attractive, everything is starting to get too large for me. On a 17", 1440P is required, 1080P at that point is just ugly with how everything is so big. But these ULTRA high resolutions, especially on machines that CAN'T do gaming, aren't really usable either. Both I have scaled at 150% to make them similar to 1080P because everything gets too small at native resolutions and standard 100% scaling. But in the end, I'd take too high a resolution (that can be fixed with scaling) than too low a resolution (that can't be fixed).
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So I was doing some file transfers, and realized that my external m.2 SSD was a 512 even though I had it marked as a 256. So swapped that into the Yoga 3 Pro and am currently reinstalling. But now 512 GB SSD instead of 256.

Not sure when I got another 512 GB SSD...and a Samsung at that (OEM model, PM851).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Surprises are nice arent they.... ;) Many times when Im going thru my hardware I run into things I didnt realize I had and immediately put them to use.
Ive got a lot of hardware new and old, so unexpected happenings occur all the time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Pleasant surprises are fantastic. Of course, there's no REAL advantage to a 512 vs. 256. 256 (on SATA bus) is where the performance gains through parallelism plateau. While there is VERY minor gains to be had at 512 GB, they're EXTREMELY minor. Versus the gains had at 128 to 256 and even moreso the sizes UNDER 128, the upgrade is completely unnecessary. But that doesn't stop me from being pleased that I had it...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My all time favorite surprise was a video card, a 3DFX Voodoo 5 5500 I had bought and never opened initially because I already had one in use. A few months down the road, I finally open the package to find a Voodoo 5 6000. I could have kept it but I contacted Ebay and we got it squared away.
Voodoo 5 6000 is a very rare card and it belonged to another collector like myself who was thrilled to receive it. He sent me a few Banshee cards i was looking for my collection. At that time I had the third largest collection of 3DFX cards in the USA. I still have all of them and honestly not sure where I stand right now. Ive got drivers, dev tools, install discs, original boxes and advertising from that period. Im still a huge retro fan of 3DFX.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I only ever owned 1 3dfx card. I had a Voodoo 2. I don't remember the 2d card it was paired with anymore. But by the time I was able to upgrade that, 3dfx was on the ropes and the writing was on the wall...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Voodoo 2's came in so many different versions, the Diamond Monster Voodoo 2 12mb being my favorite. That was before 3DFX decided to be stupid and make their own video cards, which killed them.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So switched from the Chuwi to this today. Overall working well. It does take a bit for it to recognize a change of power. Unplugging it takes a couple minutes before it switches to the battery profile. And again when plugging it in, takes a couple minutes to switch back to powered profile. But it DOES switch, and it does work properly once it switches. Speakers are ok. Nothing to write home about. They're bottom firing as to be expected on something this thin. I'm thinking if you have this in tent mode, they might actually sound pretty good given their placement on the bottom. I may test that out sometime.