Got the new drive for my Chuwi...

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Got the new drive for my Chuwi...

Post by tlmiller »

So it now has a 256 GB m.2 SATA SSD + 64 GB eMMC. Will be reinstalling the OS this weekend (will be moving it to Neptune)!!
crosscourt

Re: Got the new drive for my Chuwi...

Post by crosscourt »

Gees I still dont have any SSD drives on any of my systems and probably wont for quite awhile.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Once you get your first one and watch your boot times go from 25 seconds to 8 seconds, you'll very quickly move everything to ssd.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Isnt that big a deal to me to be honest as Im pretty happy with my present hardware. There was a time i would spend the whole day trying to gain another 100mhz in overclock but Ive become a lot more laid back. Im into very low cost, high reliability and the ability to swap parts at will. I also like working with retro hardware and I have many older systems, so having older parts has its perks.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

You know, I didn't think it mattered to me. And then I got my first laptop that had an SSD. And was just so blown away by how much faster it felt, that I bought one for another. Felt like a new machine, so bought one for my desktop. Now, I feel like the computer is full of molasses if it's got a spinning drive.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got so many SATA drives I honestly dont need more drives. Remember that I use older P2/P3 systems as well as others and what Im using now seems like lightning. Theres always something faster but as long as what i have meets my needs Im happy. I simply dont use my computer for anything that needs ultimate speed and I retro game a lot so Im in a good niche right now. Ive done service work though on Dell systems with SSD drives so I have seen the performance they can offer but it didnt blow me away.

The shared high end system we have that we use for gaming and testing is the only high end system Ive used recently.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Honestly the older systems is where SSD's make the most improvement. Or low end systems. Like this laptop. With the stock 64 GB eMMC, it ran good. Definitely seemed faster with a 60 or 120 GB SSD (didn't honestly seem any difference between the 2, which is why I bought the 256). Now with the 256, it seems faster still. So upgrading the slower system makes the biggest difference. AT work, the desktops we use (quad core hyperthreaded i7's w/ 16 GB ram) I am TOTALLY fine without a SSD. While it does take a while to boot, once booted it runs GREAT. And my desktop probably would be fine with a spinning drive. But this slow little laptop, really manages to not seem so slow with a nice SSD.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont use laptops much and when I do I never expect the same level of performance as my desktop, given the hardware I buy, Once Ive booted into the system I rarely see such a difference that I would lust for a SSD. I get a lot of surplus systems where I strip the parts and Ive got many SATA drives of different speeds.

Ive used many systems with SSDs but really dirt cheap drives really do attract my interest.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, might be the laptop thing that makes me love them. In laptops not only do they help improve the performance so much, they also actually reduce the power usage and improve the reliability (not moving parts to get damaged if the laptop falls). So I won't even consider systems that include spinning hard drives nowadays.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not disappointed with the performance of my E5410s and I replaced the stock drive with a slightly faster spinning drive. Unless you buu high end laptops, youre not going to get great performance in most cases and Im fine with that. Im using it for average things and certainly not gaming with it, so they perform well enough.
Site Moderator