Ordered a "new" chromebook

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Ordered a "new" chromebook

Post by tlmiller »

I actually mostly skipped Ivy Bridge. I had a bunch of Sandy Bridge stuff, then upgraded to Haswell and Broadwell. It's only recently I got a few Ivy Bridge machines for the same reason as you, the price was just too good to pass up. However, I have since again moved on from Ivy Bridge and Haswell is my oldest sytem. Broadwell still dominates my systems, with the 7310 now making it 3 Broadwell devices again (e7450, T450s, and the 7310).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Id like to move up at least two generations next time around but it all depends on price. Haswell systems prices are dropping though so who knows.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Haswell other than power efficiency isn't really a worthwhile upgrade. Wait for Skylake to get affordable. While I own a lot of Broadwell, and actually really like Broadwell chips, Broadwell honestly isn't worth it either since while it's a fair performance step from Ivy Bridge, it actually undoes the efficiency gains of Haswell. I'm just a sucker for how nice some of the systems are designed of the Broadwell generation from Haswell (IE - E7450 is, IMO, a HUGE improvement on the design of the E7440, even though I liked the E7440. T450s is a GARGANTUAN improvement on the T440s. While newer systems are only a minor improvement in design on the Broadwell generation. Oviously this view is skewed due to my preference for laptops)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats what Im waiting for Skylake. Id get a haswell just to play with if its really cheap, otherwise not happening.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So might not get to use this. Arrived today, it's a former enterprise chromebook for yelp. I've reached out to the seller to see if they can get it un-enrolled from enterprise management, but if not, I'll have to return it.

It would really suck to have to return it. It runs REALLY well from what little I've been able to see, and is in EXCELLENT shape!! But it's a brick if I can't get it un-enrolled. Some of the EARLY chromebooks you could get around enterprise management one time in order to enter developer mode and flash the bios, but not anymore. Now it's completely impossible to get around enterprise management from everything I'm aware of without actually physically flashing the bios (via a programmer and clip).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats nuts that he didnt mention that as its worthless in this condition.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I heard back from him, I don't think he ever tested it. It's been wiped, but of course with enterprise enrollment, until you go to sign in, you can't TELL that it's enrolled. So they probably just booted, verified it's at the welcome screen, and assumed it had been unenrolled. Sadly he did say he has no way of getting it de-enrolled from yelp's enterprise account. :( Sad, it has a GORGEOUS LCD, and was in honestly much better condition (after a thorough cleaning) than the seller actually stated.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You could ask him for a discount and play with it and see if you can solve the issue, otherwise a refund seems like the only course of action.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm familiar with enterprise enrollment. Back years ago you could get around it for 1 boot, which was enough to flash the bios so that you could install linux. Now, minus doing a physical flash of the bios chip itself, there's no way to get around it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Is a bios available to do a flash? I realize if a problem occurs youre screwed.

Ive never encountered anything like this.
Site Moderator