Ordered a "new" chromebook

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Ordered a "new" chromebook

Post by tlmiller »

Not uncommon with used Chromebooks now that enterprises are starting to use them. And EXTREMELY easy to fix. Literally it just takes an admin to go into the google admin and remove that system. Then next time it attempts to update it'll see it's no longer managed and allow you to log in with any gmail account like normal. Just companies sell off their old stock and don't bother removing it and causing this issue.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont see many Chromebooks with mainstream users that much let alone enterprise based systems such as the issue you have.. Most I see are corporate laptops with passwords which are easy to deal with in most cases.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah. If you work with companies that do business end of life refurb/resales you'll see it quite often. I used to do it myself but the margins are SUPER slim, and you won't always be able to make a profit off of things you recycle as they won't be able to be refurbished and it costs you more to properly recycle everything (batteries, heavy metals in boards, etc) than you make on the units you are able to refurbish and sell.

I'll probably see the same system for sale as "not working or parts only" once he gets it back now that he knows. Unless he is able to get ahold of someone in yelp and get it removed, in which case he'll easily be able to sell it, it's a fantastic system other than being locked down.

Honestly, the way ChromeOS has implemented the enterprise accounts is one of the nicest features and why businesses are moving to them. It takes 5 minutes to reprovision a device from a user to another, they're totally locked down and unusable by anyone without a corporate email, and they're moderately inexpensive despite their impressive features (the ones aimed at more enterprise usage).