Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Dells newest Precision Laptops avaiable now with linux

Post by tlmiller »

More here.
crosscourt

Re: Dells newest Precision Laptops avaiable now with linux

Post by crosscourt »

Dell has a few more surprises happening down the road, all Linux based that might attract a few more users/businesses.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Servers of course are already available with Linux but the rest of their consumer line will be pushing hard to get people on Linux rather than Windows. Sales in the far east have been very brisk for Linux based Dells. They offer systems with Linux at lower prices which is very attractive.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I never really understood why they hadn't expanded their linux desktop/laptop selection. OK, I get why they didn't bother with Inspirons (Broadcom wireless), but Latitudes and XPS almost always used either Intel or (xps at least) killer (Atheros) wireless, which Intel's support in linux has always been top notch, and Atheros since the Ath10k driver replaced the earlier drivers it's been incredibly reliable and stable performance.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Intel has always been my go to as Ive had zero issues. Atheros has always been a problem for me and Broadcom was a mixed bag. Most of my hardware is Intel with some Broadcom.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Atheros in the time of the Ath3k/Ath5k was known for having issues. Ath9k was a huge improvement, and everything that's been released since the Ath10k driver become the norm has simply worked perfectly if you have the firmware.

In the last 5 years, I've had far more issues with Broadcom than I have with Atheros, but yes, 10 years ago, I had issues with Atheros that I never managed to get solved before getting rid of the hardware.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im not running recent hardware but my experience with Broadcom has been ok with recent distros but Atheros has been an issue at times. In the old days I use to pull Atheros and replace them with Intel. I havent used a recent Atheros so cant really say.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've found that anything 802.11AC Atheros works AMAZINGLY well. I haven't used an Atheros pre-AC card in years to know if those have improved.