Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Best laptops 2018

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: Best laptops 2018

Post by crosscourt »

Acer Aspire is the laptop I was looking at for my wife who had an older version of the Aspire originally that lasted under hard use ten years.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I do have an Aspire, although mine is the Aspire One (budget "cloudbook"). Nevertheless, I REALLY like it, and it's my most recommended laptop for people that want to get something to run linux on. It can be found brand new for just over $200, has a BEAUTIFUL 14" 1080P LCD, is very thin and light, and for specs it has an Apollo Lake quad core cpu with 4 GB ram and a 32 GB eMMC drive. While not a lot of ram or a spacious drive by any means, it's more than adequate for just about anything that linux will throw at it. I'm running mine withe full plasma by KDE desktop on Arch linux, and it's not just acceptably smooth, it's actually pretty peppy for it's very meager specs.

I don't actually like the Aspire they have in the review, but only because of the size. I'm a big fan of 13-14" laptops, and by 15" I hate them. Just too big and bulky. Even with them all skinny nowadays, 15" is still just too big for me.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

For my wife its perfect as its not really being used only as a portable but a replacement pc as well. Im trying to remember the model number but the original Aspire she had we got after the fire burned our place bacl in late 2006. It was the best laptop we have ever owned and had good performance, reliable and the original battery lasted all ten years. We paid about $700 for it, so prices havent changed much.
Site Moderator