Intel 8th Gen Core Processors

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Intel 8th Gen Core Processors

Post by tlmiller »

Is anyone else just EXCEEDINGLY unhappy with Intel with how they've handled "8th" gen processors?

Kaby Lake Refresh
Coffee Lake
Cannon Lake

Multiple different generations, different processes all called 8th generation. I know that normally there's 2 (whatever and whatever-1 E, ie skylake and broadwell E were 6th generation), but it annoys me that the 10nm Cannon Lake is being called 8th generation when it seems like it shouldn't be. Just annoys me and I wanted to rant because I have to look up every 8xxx processor because I don't know what it is since previously the E's were always the top end desktop processors, but now Kaby refresh are used in laptops side by side with Coffee Lake (in fact I haven't actually seen a Coffee Lake based laptop although there are a bunch of processors for them), so there's 3 different cores that you could potentially get in a 8th gen laptop...
crosscourt

Re: Intel 8th Gen Core Processors

Post by crosscourt »

Im at a point where it doesnt matter to me any more. Im using older hardware-ivy bridge and it serves my needs really well. My hope is the market will sort itself out before i make my next move. The hardware market in general is confusing and a mish mash of cpu names.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

As I told a friend Ill be using the 8th generation probably about the time that the13th or better generation is coming out. :)
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Since I ogt my 7390, I probably won't be buying anything else Intel for a while. I'd still like to get rid of a couple more laptops and get a nice Ryzen/Ryzen Pro laptop, but at the monent noone has any that I REALLY want. But I know theres a bunch in the pipeline.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Down the road I want to look at a Ryzen system and there should be some good used ones out down the road. Im in no rush as I really like the hardware I have right now.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I will say that building software is NICE on a Ryzen. While gaming a Ryzen will be slightly outperformed more often than not by an INtel chip in the same general price range, in general computing power where the pc is able to use every available core it is VERY nice.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using my system more and more for general computing as im playing mostly older games and indie games these days.
Site Moderator