Latitude E6440

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Latitude E6440

Post by tlmiller »

Got the LCD in. Not perfect, but in good condition overall. Couple minor marks of damage (scratches), but no imprints or dead pixels that I can see. MUCH more usable. Still a TN panel, so craptastic angles, but much better looking and usable. Now just need to get my wireless card in (expected delivery this weekend), and it'll be a great laptop.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Glad it worked out.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So now that I have everything fixed on here I really like this machine. A list of all the changes made:

1. Removed the 320 GB HDD and replaced with a 480 GB SSD.
2. Added a 128 GB mSATA SSD
3. Replaced the Intel 6205N + BT 4.0 card with Atheros 9862AC + BT4.0 card
4. Upgraded to 16 GB ram
5. Replaced the LCD with the correct LCD, 1600x900 HD+

Runs fantastics, fast network connection, and a decent looking display (still TN not IPS, so only decent, not gorgeous). Lots of room to test VM's given the 128 GB is /home and swap, so the 480 GB only has to hold the /boot/efi and / partitions, so plenty of space for .iso's and VM qcow2's.

I doubt I'll get rid of this hardware anytime soon. Although it's not very lightweight, it's quite well built, and can take a bit of abuse, while also being just incredibly good performance. I also have 2 batteries for it as it uses the same batteries as the E5430 it replaces, so I was able to keep the 2 brand new batteries I had purchased for that and sell it with the older battery this came with.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Might look at one of these as i want to upgrade my laptop.
Site Moderator