Dell Latitude 7490

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Dell Latitude 7490

Post by crosscourt »

Ill pass this along to Dell Support for future reference.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Well, all the wireless card updating done. 9260 in the 7490. Atheros card from the 7490 in the Acer to replace the older, lower spec Atheros that was in there. The 9260 in the T450s, and the 8265 from that in my Chromebook 14 to replace the 7260. All installed, all working 100%.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In the old days Atehros cards drove me nuts as they werent supported very well and Intel worked like a charm.

I use wifi so rarely I havent done anything with my present wireless cards.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I mostly use wifi since I don't get a corporate laptop, then if I need to do something on a laptop at work, I carry one of my personal ones to use. Also I do a lot of testing when I'm making changes (VPN, SFA's, etc) on my personal laptop. At home I actually don't use it AS much, although I usually carry a laptop with me when I go to eat if my wife doesn't go, and I'll hop on while at the restaurant.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im mainly a home user and at work we have a wired connection as well so really dont need wifi. I do sit in bed or in my living room and relax watching some online stuff with wifi. Living in a condo though you have to be aware of whats around you and ive had some issues at times, so wired is a safer bet.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

A lot of the testing I do at work is blocked on the corporate network (VPN at least), so wifi (and a mifi) is required. Work does supply the mifi.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Been using this a bit recently while I was playing OS musical chairs with several of my other machines (moved the E6440 to Debian due to Arch & Fedora both having issues with recent kernels and some errors in drivers in the 4.15 kernels causing them not to work with the Atheros bluetooth in that system now, then moved the Acer to Arch and the Chuwi to Fedora). For a 15 watt CPU, it's amazingly fast. Seems MUCH faster than my E7450 or E6440, despite being much slower (pure GHz). The quad cores on the newest cpu's are a huge help, I can't remember the last time that I felt such a difference from one generation to the next (despite that I got rid of my 6th & 7th generation Intel machines and only have 8th refresh and 5th generation left, also never used an 8th generation pre-refresh).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats interesting it feels that fast. Havent gone that way yet as Im still in the third generation mainly but most systems I see are typically 3rd,fourth or fifth generation from friends/clients.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It is. The chip doesn't run all that insanely quick in terms of actual Frequency (1.7 GHz base, up to 3.6 GHz turbo), but I think with most programs being coded to take advantage of threading more and more, and the kernels getting better at using multiple threads, that it's able to feel faster.

That or my mind is just convincing itself it feels fast because I spent nearly $700 on it. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!! Thats possible.
Site Moderator