Dell G5 SE 5505

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Dell G5 SE 5505

Post by crosscourt »

Heatsinks really do help as my 7270s and 7470 really need them.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

The ones I bought are a 2-pack of graphene/copper heatsinks, with thermal tape and mini rubber bands to try to keep good enough contact for the tape to be effective that were on Amazon 2/$10. If you buy 3 packs (so 6 heatsinks) they qualified for free shipping, ergo why I have so many.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Already got some off of Ebay and they work very well. Got mine for 2/$7.50 with free shipping.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

So I decided to put Windows on here. It's just too heavy to use at night, and I can't use it on the dock, so it's not really useful to have Linux on it when not EVERY game I like playing works. So threw Win10 on, upgraded to WIn11 so I could use a non-MS account login, then installed Explorer Patcher. This gives me the functional Win10 taskbar, and right click menu with the Win11 start menu. So it's actually usable. Spent the day playing games on it, and it runs REALLY good. Already used it more today than I have the entire time I've owned it minus the first 3 days when I was testing it out. I should just sell it, but until the Latitude 7400 sells, I'll keep it with Windows for gaming. Then get rid of it to have something less painful when being used propped on my chest.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win11 runs games very well and after recent fixes AMD users will get a slight boost in performance. Overall though Win10 is still the better gaming OS for a number of reasons. I debated on upgrading my Alienware to Win11 but decided not to. Still have it installed on my other Ryzen system. Initially Win11 had L3 cache issues with AMD and also SSD/NVMe drives had performance issues but thats been fixed. You can see this when looking at Steam user stats as 75% of users are still using Win10.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I still think that's more to do with Win11 design. Without the Explorer Patcher, it really is utterly unusably bad design.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive gotten use to Win11 but its design isnt what is keeping gamers from using it. Graphics drivers overall are better in Win10. Many of the most popular games such as free to play/ multiplayer were based on older games so Win10s feature set is a bit better suited with less effort. Its also one of those things that people dont perceive a iuge advantage to Win11 but thats changing. Many recent games perform better with Win11 so as gamers move up the food chain, theyll move to Win11.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I don't think it's possible to get used to the design of Win11 for me. It's just SO AMAZINGLY badly designed, ugly, and unusable. I cannot imagine trying to use it as is for more than ~5-10 minutes.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

You can move the taskbar/start to the left corner. The new start screen is nothing more than a new version of the tiles used in Win10 and you can click in the upper right corner to get to the apps. Its really not that different and the locations of various features has changed some but is still pretty much the same. Many third party apps that are free that can add whatever you like to change its appearance if you prefer.
My complaints were with the many update issues that have really cleaned themselves up recently.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

No, none of what you mentioned is hte issues with Win11. There's no way to tell what application you're in becuase it just shows icons. I don't know icons for applications, which means switching apps is hover, wait for popup saying what it is, next, hover, wait, etc. And the right click menu had NOTHING in it, so to do ANYTHING, right click, click more options, click on what you want to do. Both make it utterly unusable for me. Far too much work to accomplish something.