I got bored...

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

I got bored...

Post by tlmiller »

So I may have ended up purchasing a Dell G5 SE 5505. It's a 15.6" with the +10 keyboard which I don't like, but on the GOOD side..

Ryzen 4600H (6-core, 12-thread, 45-watt TDP)
Radeon RX-5600M (4GB discrete GPU based on RDNA)
8 GB ram (has 2 slots, so going to steal the 32GB from my Latitude 7400 and put in here, put the 2x4GB in the 7400 to sell)
256 GB SSD (has 2 slots, 1 x4, the other x2, so going to put the 1TB from the Latitude 7400 in here, along with my 2230 512GB SK Hynix with an adapter, while the 7400 will get the 256 SSD from this along with it's MyDigitalSSD SBXe 240GB drive to be sold with)
15.6" 1080P LCD...meh, it's not HORRIBLE at that resolution, but not the best
Comes with the proprietary barrel adapter, but can use USB-C. Not sure if my dock will put out sufficient power for it to even work on it though, I'll find out.
Price was good, after tax and shipping was under $600 for a nearly brand new old stock laptop.

In preparation, I've pulled the SSD from the 7400 and put the adapter + SK Hynix SC711 in there, then installed Windows 10 & upgraded to 11 (to be able to use local account) to check what all applications I needed to update to use with 11. Surprisingly few, the big one being Dell Command version I was using was a Windows 8/10 version that was incompatible with 11. Had to download the Win 10/11 version. So far, I still despise Win11. Oh well.

Expected for the new-to-me laptop to arrive before next weekend. I'm excited, been a while since I had a gaming laptop to test out. And with it being AMD + AMD (Vega 8 + RDNA) it should work much smoother than something with Nvidia. Plan on running Endeavour on it since that's what the 7400 was running.

Edit: This will also give me a good reason to try out the newest Endeavour image that was released today.
crosscourt

Re: I got bored...

Post by crosscourt »

You dont typically like 15 inch laptops. Looks like a great gaming laptop that could replace a desktop for gaming. Iy cost the same as my Dell 5676 Ryzen desktop but has better specs. You sure get bored a lot, :) I really like Dell systems.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Historically, I liked Dell a lot. Currently though, this will be 1 of only 2 Dell's I own.

1 custom (desktop, R7 3700X/32GB/RX 5600XT/multiple drives)
2 Dell's (G5 SE 5505 + Inspiron 7415 2-in-1)
4 Lenovo's (Thinkpad T14G2A, Thinkpad T14G1A, Thinkpad L14G1A, Thinkpad T495)

And I probably won't have any more Latitudes anytime soon as it appears Dell still isn't adding Ryzen Pro to their Latitude lineup. Simply put, even with Alder Lake at the 15-watt nominal area (standard U-series laptops) AMD still have a superior solution in the 6000-series. Slightly better overall processor (much weaker single threaded, but more overall threads and much better power efficiency and thus heat), and so still not willing to pay that premium for an inferior processor. I do want to get the new T14 (or maybe X13) with the 6850U, 8 core, 16-thread, 12 compute cores of RDNA2 for its IGP...wow, that's a big improvement from Vega 8!!!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Dell has made a strong commitment to Intel and is advertising that like crazy. Im disappointed as I wanted t see more Ryzen systems but wont be happening anytime soon.
The HP G3s I have are amazing little mini pcs but the bios is a mess and frustrates me heavily. The minute I move back to Dell Im a lot happier.

When 2025 rolls around we will be doing some major upgrading in my house, so hoping more Ryzen systems will show up from Dell.

Im just the opposite lately as Ive been a lot more retro with my hardware and have been building budget gaming systems out of older hardware through upgrades for people.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Windows 10's sunset won't affect me very much. I'll simply no longer have access to Windows. I've found running Windows 11 today that it's even worse than I remember, there's 0% chance I'd be willing to put this on my system for regular usage.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive always been a late adopter of new Windows versions. My hope is Win11 will improve a lot in the next three years, If it doesnt youll see a huge number of people clinging to Win10. Right now Im still running Win7 for old games and anti-virus and other programs still support it, Microsoft is still releasing security updates.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I have always found it a bit amusing that on Linux some of the biggest gripping comes from delays in getting the latest updated versions. Seems like everyone is anticipating new features in new releases. On the Windows side of things though it seems the biggest gripping comes MS updating and changing things up.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

People want updates with Windows, but they dont like the constant changes to the GUI for the sake of marketing a new OS.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Doubly when we were promised that the last version was going to be "the final version of Windows ever".
wove

Post by wove »

That claim of the last version did seem pretty dubious. When Mac released OS X they stated that they believed they had created a framework they could build on for the next 20 years, and they have been doing that, but a new version is released on a regular basis. Microsoft seems like they view the OS as simply the core, and they have been very good at providing backward compatibility with software over the years. It is something that many Mac users wish Apple would pay more attention to.

Microsoft has never been very good about growing a consistent UI. Since Microsoft has always tried to appeal to businesses, they should realize that there is nothing employees hate more than change. You learn that job, using that tool and by god you are being paid to use that tool to do that job and damn if you want to expend the effort to get accustomed to a new doo-dad. You change the hand dryer in the restroom and boom the whole crew is bitching; "What was wrong with old dryer?"

Motor memory with a UI is nice though and it can be exploited for productivity, but it can be a real detriment to learning new and possibly better work flows.