Dell Optiplex 960 MT

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: Dell Optiplex 960 MT

Post by crosscourt »

I wouldnt call the 740 gt an ancient video card. Its an older card as Voodoo/Geforce 256 cards, thats ancient, :D
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Installed the Q9550 and so far its not running hot at all. The numbers are actually better than the E8400 and power usage using my power meter appears to be around 80w. Im basing that on the readings I took with the initial system specs, then with the 740gt and now the added Q9550. System feels quicker and is more responsive, more like you would expect from a more modern system. Love the heatsink design as you remove two screws, slide it off the rail and your ready to go.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm guessing that having double the CPU resources available allows the Q9550 to run much higher levels of idle time, thus the lower power draw. If you were pushing it, it should most definitely draw a LOT more than what you're seeing since the Q9550 alone is specc'd for 95-watt TDP, nearly 50% greater than the E8400. But it truly is also nearly the double the processing power, as it's nominal frequency is only 133 MHz (I think) lower than it's dual-core compatriot. Definitely looking at their specs, the Q9550 is a much better value if you're forced to use something of that age range.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

E8400 3ghz vs Q9550 2.83ghz so 170mhz difference. Ill be gaming with it this weekend so Ill recheck the power usage which Ill assume will be 95w.
Honestly though anyone running this system with Linux or Win10 would be very happy with it, using Office apps, browsing and doing personal projects, with a bit of light gaming.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Performance has been much betrter with the Quad in overall use. Its amazing to me that this old a system functions just fine with Win1o and Zorin.
Performance and speed is very good and any average user would be very happy with this system.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I mean, it might be old, but it's STILL quad core. It hasn't been too long since Intel finally abandoned dual-core as the default for all but the most expensive laptops, and even many desktops were still dual-core, with only the higher end ones getting quad-cores.