The modern state of Wi-Fi

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Re: The modern state of Wi-Fi

Post by crosscourt »

How much do you pay for your service? here I pay $45 for 30mbps which includes the gateway rental.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I have unlimited broadband (usually around 20Mbps) with line rental and unlimited UK calls for around £25/month
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

So the cost is about the same(25 pounds is around 35 dollars) and you own or rent your equipment? My gateway runs 10 dollars a month so my actual ISP cost for service is 35 dollars.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I get a router from the ISP (free) but then I own it as they never want them back, I have a couple of old ones I use for extending my coverage, depending on the current ISP as some routers are easier to customise than others. I have OpenWRT that I flashed onto one of my old routers and that allows me to connect more hardwired machines without additional cost.

I just checked all the details of my new supplier and for the next 12 months (term of contract) I am paying the equivalent of £20.33 a month but that is because I paid the line rental in advance. It's currently about the best option available here.

If you want to see some of the options we have you can look at moneysavingexpert.com it has some great information for all sorts of money saving ideas from banking to utilities and pretty much everything in-between.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

If the router goes down, you buy one or they give you a replacement? In my case the gateway is replaced no questions asked and upgraded when needed as well.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

during the initial contract (12 months) it gets replaced but if you "rollover" your contract then it's down to you, another good reason to change every year :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gotcha so Im glad i rent. I didnt want to but they exchange equipment a lot of the time when they need to upgrade. Simlar router runs around $120-150 and Comcast is very proprietary so sometimes you just bite the bullet.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

The most I have paid for a router was £6.99 which was the postage some ISP's charged. I know people who were out of contract and still got a new router when theirs packup up just by phoning them up and saying they would switch suppliers if they had to pay for a new one, but some ISP's will stick to their guns and say you have to buy one.
I've only ever had 1 router pack up and that was actually the power supply not the router, I used an alternative power supply (I always have spares) and used that until I switched to another supplier which usually takes 2 - 3 weeks here, and had new router from them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Gees, wish it were like that here.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Read the link and amazed at the info and amount of choices available. In the states this happens rarely depending on where you live, let alone the prices and included hardware.
Site Moderator