Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

The modern state of Wi-Fi

Post by crosscourt »

Site Moderator
crosscourt

Re: The modern state of Wi-Fi

Post by crosscourt »

Im using Comcast like many people and their Xfinity gateways are a bit of a mixed bag and they dont make it easy to gain info on their firmware.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I worked for Comcast for a while (many years ago). Company is worse than their reputation, IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

They are very bad, but once your in and things are going ok, youre fine, but dont ever have a problem or decide to leave, and make sure you watch every bill for strange fees.

I asked them if they were updating their gateways to keep them secure and they couldnt give a straight answer.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

My ISP get's changed on an annual basis, I have used most of the UK providers and the speeds and service are so similar that you usually cannot notice a difference. One thing I will say though is I am lucky to live in relatively close proximity to a telephone exchange (1-1.5 miles) so I can use basic broadband at reasonable speed no matter who charges for the service. The only difference for me is optical fiber Vs copper, although there is only one ISP that serves FO to my area and I don't currently have the need for it.

My ISP is due to change in a few weeks, although I have used the new one before without issue and hope this time will be just as pain-free. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

We dont have that luxury here in the states as in my area there are only two providers and only one has decent speed.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

I guess we are lucky in UK that we have only a very small land mass compared to USA, and one main network and lots of companies milking it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I live in an area thats got over 1.5 million people in Northern Virginia and we still dont have a wide choice of ISPs.
Site Moderator
dai_trying

Post by dai_trying »

My home town population is around 220k, but only around 32 square miles, and I have a choice of over a dozen ISP's.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Wish I had that amount of choice.
Site Moderator