Issues with displayport to vga adapter

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Issues with displayport to vga adapter

Post by crosscourt »

My Dell SE 2419HR monitor initially wont come out of power save when my HP G3 starts up using the adapter. I end up unplugging and plugging in a few times till it detects it. This monitor has a hdmi and vga cable but no native displayport. I ordered a Dell adapter to see if its a bit more compatible with the monitor but this is the first time Ive ever had this happen. This G3 has no other ports other than displayport. I also might try a USB 3.0 to vga adapter which may work more consistently.
Site Moderator
wove

Re: Issues with displayport to vga adapter

Post by wove »

I have never had a monitor with a display port, but Lenovo puts display ports on lots of their computer hardware. I have not had good luck with display port adaptors. A couple I picked up would just not work. One worked but was very finiky, type to hard it would disconnect, wiggle the computer a bit and it would disconnect. What worked for me with Lenovo laptops is to get a docking station with an hdmi port. Which is just side stepping the problem with display ports, but it has been a working solution.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

DP to other digital interfaces is pretty good (HDMI). DP to anything analog is...unreliable...in my experience. Same with HDMI to analog interfaces as well, but HDMI is a bit more reliable than DP when it's getting converted to analog signal.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I believe its the monitor but Im going to try an older monitor to see if it does the same thing. Ive used DP to VGA adapters a lot and rarely had any issues till now. HDMI to VGA has issues with clarity with the display, as it has a fuzzy appearance. My Chromebox had nothing but an HDMI port and I used an adapter to VGA and it really looked horrible.
If I boot the system and wait then unplug and plug back in it tends to come up.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I boot the G3 wait till I think its at the Win10 screen then unplug and plug in the adapter and it works. I usually have to change ports though but for some reason it works.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The Dell displayport to VGA adapter did the trick. Monitor popped on with no issues, so buying a decent adapter definitely is the way to go.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Last night I was reading about the relationship between USB C and Display Port, mainly as how it relates to docks. It was mainly techno babble. The upshot was creating a display port is electrically very easy to do using either a computers usb controller or using usb hub of a dock. The downside is that the display port created that way genrally only will work with display port monitor, unless you have a very good adaptor/cable that can make the necessary electrical changes needed to make the display port fully work with other monitor types. I guess that is why you and I both ran into trouble with display port adaptors. Often my good deals bite me in the backside.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I bought initially two pretty good DP to VGA adaptors but neither worked right and one got stuck on the port and pulled out of the cable. I had to brute force pull it 0ut of the port so hopefulyl I didnt damge it. The unit has three DP ports so if youve got adapters you can run three monitors. I recommend the Dell DP to VGA adapter highly at around $10 on Ebay.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No issues at all so far as Ive used the system many times and the adapter works fine.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just received the USB to VGA adapter and it works very well. If you place in the USB 3.0 port you get the higher resolutions with no issues.
Site Moderator