HP Elitedesk 800 G3 Mini

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: HP Elitedesk 800 G3 Mini

Post by tlmiller »

Not unheard of, the Insprion 7415 is in a similar-esque, although reversed, situation. The NVMe controller gets really good WRITE speeds out of the drive, but significantly lower read speeds than I know firsthand the drive is capable of.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Bios is pretty up to date late 2021. At least the write speeds arent worse than the SATA had but will wait to see what the WD SN550 does when it comes as sometimes it comes down to firmware.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Tested the WD sn550 500gb NVMe ssd on my Dell 7270 and it gets 1700mbs read/ 1200mbs write. My conclusion is the Hynix NVMe ssd in the G3 is the issue and is slightly older than the sn550.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Checked the bios again and the settings are worthless as they dont give you any options. Dell Optiplex offers many more settings versus HP. It has its good points as there is less chance of getting yourself into trouble.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

I bought an HP 2 in 1 laptop/tablet as a graduation gift for niece a couple years back. I had got it used from a fellow who just did not like it. I cleaned off his stuff and set it up fresh, I was surprised at how few option were available it the UEFI firmware compared to what use to be available in a BIOS screen. It had most of the bells and whistles kids seem to expect in computers for college. I always took notes by hand, so I made sure I got one with a pen. As far as I know she still uses it and is happy with it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The HP G3 is an office system and was pointed more in that direction than my Dell systems. They prefer admins come in and make changes and open up other bios options. In my case thats a bit limiting.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I've had wildly different experiences with HP. My HP Elitebook 1020 G1 was one of the absolute WORST laptops I ever had. Horrible hardware, horrible support for any OS, just miserable. Comparitively, my 14-an013nr was an absolute BEAUTY of a system. Ran flawlessly, not a single hiccup on any OS. And that continues to translate throughout my history with HP, those are just the 2 I remember best off the top of my head.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Its not a terrible situation, but was hoping for more flexibility with the HP bios. Overall I love this system and will be experimenting with it to see whats possible.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The site I got the G3 from, Ive been doing business with for quite a few years and in appreciation he gave me a deal on a second G3 at quite a discount.
Should be nice but my wife may end up getting the second system down the road.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My WD sn550 blue NVMe drive came in and I just finished cloning it. Numbers were amazing at 2500 mbs read/ 1900mbs write. The issue with the Hynix drive apparently was an issue with the drive not the system with the really low write numbers. Very pleased with this ssd as I got it for $43.
Site Moderator