Ive got more laptops

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: Ive got more laptops

Post by tlmiller »

I'm more than happpy to tell anyone who requires Windows for support to go get bent. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

LOL!! Wish I could do that but customers take a dim view of that kind of service approach.

On a side note, Im really impressed with the internal design of the 3340/3350 as its a clean, well setup, everything is accessible. Getting components out is a breeze and even cleaning dust out is a breeze.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

tlmiller wrote:And if I were to spend the money on a TPM module for it (I have the hardware connector),
A few years back I built a desktop with an Asus motherboard and an AMD processor, this was before the multi cored beauties that AMD makes today. The motherboard had a TPM connector, but no TPM was present. At that point I thought that TPMs held the encryption keys as well as providing some hardware help for decrypting, so I want a TPM for it. Mostly all I had owned was Apple or ThinkPads and they all have TPMs. Damn that module was very expensive relative to what I had in the machine. So I did not get one.

It was too odd a setup to make Linux an easy install, so I ended up putting Windows 7 on it and gave it to a neighbor kid. He was maybe 13 and thought it was the neatest machine he had ever beheld, and wanted it for gaming. It wasn't even close to being a gaming rig. But he liked it.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

They've gotten reasonably affordable nowadays. I looked it up, and if you can find them in stock (which right now is the major issue), they're about $40. More than I'm willing to spend given it does nothing for my linux install (once they have out of the box support for encryption using TPM instead of passcode, I'd consider it), but not a HORRIBLE price IMO.
wove

Post by wove »

I think that is about the same price ($40) as it was when I built the system, but as I recall I only had ~80-90 invested in the machine and $40 for a tpm seemed rather steep for what benefits would accrue.
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, the price/benefits is lacking still for me. I'd love to run encrypted drives w/ TPM, but it's too much work to set it up that I'm not willing to do. I want to be like Windows, click "encrypt use TPM" and it does it. Security, I'm very lazy about since I'm a big believer in the whole "if they have physical access to the system, they already have all your data on it regardless of what you've done."
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

$40 is just not worth it.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

It would be to me if it would allow me to (seemlessly and without any work on my part) use the TPM for encryption.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont keep anything important on my pc, as I use both cloud and external storage. Id just reinstall and move on.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:40 pm I dont keep anything important on my pc, as I use both cloud and external storage. Id just reinstall and move on.
I don't keep anything on mine either, but I wouldn't mind being able to. Until I can use encryption though without jumping through hoops (such as having to type in a passphrase to boot), then it's too much work IMO though.