Ive got more laptops

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Ive got more laptops

Post by crosscourt »

Certainly not as new as TL's stash of laptops.
Heres what Ive got right now,
These are Dell Latitudes,
e4310
e6420
e6430
e6440
3340 x4
7270 x2

Acer 14 Chromebook x2
Acer Spin 715 Chromebook
Site Moderator
wove

Re: Ive got more laptops

Post by wove »

Nice pile of laptops. So you are Santa's elf this year putting together laptops for good boys and girls. :)

Have a Merry Christmas, and thanks for your work on the forums.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Many of these laptops were given to me or traded for as I use some of them for parts for myself and others. Some will be refurbished and given to the non-profit I work with. Im pretty much like TL as I tend to have a lot of tech around the house. My wife uses three laptops, I tend to use three as well with one at the office, one at home and my Chromebook I take everywhere. Even though I have a Ryzen desktop system I use my 7270 with an edock as a desktop system as well. Ive also got an Optiplex 7010 MT(old Win7 gaming system), 4 7010 SFF(one is my wifes system) and 5 7010 USFF. Some I bought, some I found, some were given to me. I also have an Acer Chromebox attached to my console gaming tv which I use to kick back and watch movies and anime.
Older systems are far easier to mod and play around with.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

That's way more laptops than I've ever owned!! I'm actually doing quite good, I currently own a TOTAL of 1 desktop, and 7 laptops. Although I probably do wanna get Alder Lake laptop when they get released.
wove

Post by wove »

I have the Pinebook Pro and a 2008 17" Macbook Pro. I have had the Pinebook Pro for a couple years now, and in most respects it has been something of a disappointment. I should put in the few hours of work needed and install Endeavor back on it.

The Macbook Pro is a beast. Its network name is half-a-stone because it weights in at 7lbs. It is a very well built machine, and inspite of its years it still runs a supported version of the MacOS. I did use it as a desktop machine, but for that is was supplanted by the Pi 400 and by the IdeaCentre. I still see it often list on ebay for ~$250, which seems really high for something 13years old, but then it cost $3700 when new, so who knows.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The 3340s in particular didnt turn out as good as I expected so they will probably be donated. The 2 Acer 14 Chromebooks will fall out of support in June 2022 so thats six laptops right there. When I need parts its a lot cheaper to buy or trade for a similar laptop as individual parts are really expensive.
The older Latitudes like the E6420 are really nice laptops compared to the 3340s/educational laptops. Thats the only reason I keep so many laptops at times.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

At this point I've managed to get rid of all the laptops that had majorly disappointed me. Still have the T14 Gen2 (AMD), T14 Gen1 (AMD), L14 Gen1 (AMD), T495, Latitude 7400, Latitude 7490, and the Chuwi GemiBook Pro. Next thing I want to get is an Alder Lake Latitude/Thinkpad when they're available (couple months). Probably finally get rid of the 7490 when I do, been a LONG run, MUCH longer than I usually keep hardware. I've had this laptop for >4 years now, which makes it about quadruple the amount of time I USUALLY keep laptops (although in general, the lack of compelling upgrades has caused my average time of ownership to go up, as several laptops are 2+ years now, which I've never owned that many laptops that long before). And honestly, still a great laptop. Quad core, 8 thread, 1080P 14", 1TB SSD, 32GB DDR4, has a USB-C that can do alt mode DP, power charging, etc. So still has great specs despite it's age, too. But I'm ready to part with it once I find a suitable replacement.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Two of the 3340s got donated today. The older Chromebooks I havent decided what to do with but wont be using them beyond their end of support.
By summer the other two 3340s will be gone as well. Once I weed out the laptops I dont want the rest Ill keep till 2025 when a large hardware change will take place to move to Win11. Only my Ryzen system can run Win11 presently.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Currently all my systems except my desktop are Win11 capable. And if I were to spend the money on a TPM module for it (I have the hardware connector), it would be as well. But I'm not going to bother, and in 2025 I just won't have Windows anymore. ANything that doesn't run on Linux I simply won't run anymore, as I don't agree to the TOS of WIn11, and so cannot complete the installation.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I dont have that option as Im heading into support more than likely after retiring and my wife still uses Win10. Ill need an everyday Win11 install and laptops I can use with clients.
Site Moderator