Ive got more laptops

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Re: Ive got more laptops

Post by wove »

The Surface Go uses the camera to recognize me so it opens when it sees me. Which must mean at least part of the OS is not encrypted so it can start. My phone and android tablet do some minimal boot, then ask for a pin to decrypt then do a restart to become operational. With Fedora or Pop on the IdeaCentre a prompt appears for a passphrase right after the BIOS screen appears and boot does not even start until the passphrase is entered, then of course I have to enter another passphrase to log in to my account. Windows 10 & 11 with Face Id is by far the easiest way to go on that.

I have moved most of what I consider my sensitive data from the corporate cloud to NextCloud, which stores everything encrypted and transmits it encrypted as well. NextCloud only encrypts the data store, so NextCloud itself can not even provide access to the data it is storing beyond sending it to the NextCloud client on your machine, which will do the decrypting. The keys are entered during the setup of the client and stored within the client so it is easy to connect to and use NextCloud. But logging into the NextCloud server does not give you access to the data store.

I agree with @tlmiller that all bets are off if a thief actually gets unrestricted access to the physical hardware, but encrypted data should provide a decent amount of time to actually change passwords and/or lock accounts before significant real significant real harm can occur.