Working on my pc repair kit

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Working on my pc repair kit

Post by crosscourt »

Ive been working a lot more with clients and friends so I finally had to put my repair kit back together rather than scramble around looking for what I need. I had to replace some items as my network cable tester and probe werent working. I just picked up a 118 piece tool kit as my older one didnt have enough options for a wider variety of devices. Just downloaded Hirans boot cd PE which os actually not done by him anymore as the community took it over.
Im adding some cables, additional tools and adapters to flesh it out. More than likely Ill be doing this in retirement unless I can latch onto Dell along the way for service work. My power supply tester came today as well as my older one wasnt working correctly. It will take me awhile to get everything I need but for now Im setup pretty well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Working on my pc repair kit

Post by tlmiller »

My gods, I remember having one of these. Nowadays my pc repair kit is the number to Best Buy technical support. :D
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Most of the issues are software/malware related these days, but you would be amazed how many people screw up their connections or use bad cables that typically the pets have been chewing on as a snack. If anyone knew how bad Best Buy Geek Squad really is, they would be stunned.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

OH, I do know how bad they are, but it beats me touching Windows outside work if I'm not getting paid work level $$$ for it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

I really hate working with Windows even though Ive been immersed in it for years. Im praying at some point Ill be able to do more in Linux. I do have some Linux clients but the numbers have dropped off hugely.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I currently have 1 client. Just added him a month ago because he bought my Laittude 7410 w/ Arch on it. He's the only one that gets support from me. Anyone who's laptop I didn't sell them, or that decided they wanted Windows, you can go to Best Buy...a candy support team for a candy OS.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

In my case Im trying to make this a career switch over the next two years and possibly a move to do roving repair work for Dell. A bit of a learning curve coming and it will take a bit of time. I hate supporting family and friends outside of my wife. Even my boss at work hits me up for tech help.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Thankfully, other than "hey, which of these is better" support, my boss (for obvious reasons) has never asked for tech help from me.
bin

Post by bin »

Get some decent knee pads! :-)
wove

Post by wove »

Minnesota and several other states now require if you do networking commercially you need to have a license which you get by taking a test. It is known as a low voltage electrical license and it covers infrasructure for alarm systems, phone systems. cable TV systems, HVAC systems and church organs and probably a lot of other items as well.

When the fellow hooked up my new router I asked if he had a license and he said no, but his supervisor did and he would be taking the test this winter. He was pretty excited about it. He made $25/hr as a journeyman, but with the license he would be able to get $45/hr and was looking forward to going out on his own where he could charge $75/hr.