Logitech T650 trackpad

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Logitech T650 trackpad

Post by wove »

My main desktop input has been a Logitech T650 trackpad. It is 5X5 inch slab of glass about 3/8" thick not much different from Apple's Magic Trackpad. I have been using it for at least a half dozen years and it is a wonderful input device. The built in battery has been failing for some time now and had arrived at the point where it would only power the trackpad for a couple hours. When new the battery would last for about a month.

I ordered a replacement battery. I looked the device over carefully and was fairly certain I knew how it came apart, but I did look online to see if I could find take apart directions. I did and I think they were put together by someone who had never taken anything apart. There is a lot of fixit kind of folks on this forum and you know the type, three left thumbs and cross eyed. In the end it came apart how I thought it would and the replacement battery was a drop in replacement. It is sad though that so much seems to be held together with glue and double sided tape.

The trackpad is back up to working for a long time, hopefully another half dozen years. If you do like trackpads for input this is a great device. It recognizes 5 finger touch and all the swipe gestures in Linux. MS moved to needing/requiring "Precision Trackpads" for Windows 11 gestures, so in Windows it is mostly just like a regular mouse.
crosscourt

Re: Logitech T650 trackpad

Post by crosscourt »

Im not familiar with their trackpad but Ive used almost all oftheir mice,keyboards and trackballs over the years. Im surprised at the glue and stick build as Logitech even with their cheaper products tends to do a great job.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

In fairness to Logitech on this, glue and double sided tape is about all you can use when building a device whose major component is a slab of glass. Logitech does say there are no user serviceable parts inside, which is technically correct, the parts are not serviceable. Logitech does neglect to mention though the many of the internal parts are replaceable.

Overall I fully agree that generally Logitech makes usable dependable items. Along with the T650 I use a K360 keyboard on the IdeaCentre. The Lenovo wireless keyboard and mouse that came with the IdeaCentre were really pretty low quality, which surprised me since Lenovo is know for having excellent quality keyboards on their laptops. For the Surface Go I use a K480 keyboard. Again it is not a superb keyboard, but it is very useable. It pairs via Bluetooth and has a built in slot to hold tablets and phones. It is a device I have been using for years.

I have wanted to try the Logitech Kraft with Dial, but it is a bit too pricey for me. I rarely see them used on eBay, which I take to mean that people who buy them tend to hang on to them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive used Logitech for a long time since I was pro gaming years back. Ive used almost all of their gaming mice and keyboards, and now Im using a wider range of their mainstream products. Always been my favorite but today there is a lot of quality peripherals on the market.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

My everyday peripheral choices are retty mundane. I use the comact K360 wireless keyboard and the M310 wireless mouse. Both have been great and very reliable.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im presently using the G413 gaming keyboard and a G305 wireless gaming mouse. I typically dont use wireless anything for gaming due to lag issues at times but the G305 mouse, not one of their high end models does very well.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I use all wired mice day to day. I do have 2 wireless mice setting in my den for use on my laptops if I choose to set at the kitchen table or something (I often will while writing my D&D adventures). While I'm actually VERY comfortable using a trackpad (been using them for 20+ years), sometimes I do feel like using a mouse.
wove

Post by wove »

I like trackpads because they are in essence unhanded and just as easy to use left or right handed so they can be set anywhere it is convenient and used easily with either hand. I can really only use a mouse easily with my left hand, and they generally require more space to work than a trackpad.

However a mouse is a more precise pointer and very useful for certain tasks, so I keep a wireless mouse close by. It is very rare for me to use a mouse with a laptop or a tablet.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got a number of systems on my desk so having wired peripherals gets a bit busy with cords and I dont want to unplug the cords all the time.
Wireless offers me the ability to use one receiver and plug it into whatever system Im using.
Trackballs Ive never been comfortable with and most of what I do requires precise pointing so I use mice all the time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I LOVED the MS Optical trackball back in the 90's. Was the single best mousing device I EVER used. I've never used another trackball I liked.