DA, Da Chuwi!!!

Discussion of hardware related issues
tlmiller

Re: DA, Da Chuwi!!!

Post by tlmiller »

Realistically there shouldn't be as long as the latest Debian release was more than ~6-8 months prior, then testing becomes totally usable as a day to day distro. Sure, there's still minor breakage, but not a lot. And if you switch to it once Debian has hit soft-freeze, it's basically as stable as anything out there.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

How much were you selling your Chuwi for?
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

$280. Which was a great deal, IMO. The Gen2 GemiBook Pro currently retails for $420, but mine has 16GB ram instead of 12GB, and has been upgraded to a 1TB SSD instead of a 256GB. Not sure why they reduced the ram and drive size (Gen1 came with a 512GB SSD), but I'm guessing it was due to it just not offering enough of a profit margin.

I'm hoping that Chuwi will come out with a Jasper Book, basically use a N5105 (Jasper Lake 10-watt) w/ 16GB ram and actually support NVMe this time. But...I doubt it, and while I can find N5095's easily enough (15-watt Jasper Lake), those are literally failed N5105 (slihgtly slower GPU otherwise identical specs to N5105 except requiring the 15-watt to achieve that frequency) which I don't want a 15-watt Celeron, that's kinda the point of getting a Celeron is to get 6-watt or 10-watt chips to help extend battery life.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im using 8gb in all my laptops and 256gb-512gb SSDs. For what I use them for, 16gb ram and a 1tb SSD would be overkill and a bit expensive.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

crosscourt wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:48 pm Im using 8gb in all my laptops and 256gb-512gb SSDs. For what I use them for, 16gb ram and a 1tb SSD would be overkill and a bit expensive.
To be fair, with what this CPU is capable of (around a 1-2nd gen Core i5 mobile level power), 16GB is a bit overkill. But that's the advantage of buying Chuwi; since it came with a 512GB SSD and 16GB ram, but they didn't change the MSRP when they reduced the Gen2 machines, so this Gen1 was essentially $420 MSRP, and could easily be found under $400, sometimes as low as $350. And of course, the LCD on this BLOWS AWAY most of my other machines. This is the 2nd best LCD I own, next to the T14, which I upgraded to the BEST LCD Lenovo offers on that. And for me, a decent LCD is the single most important feature of a laptop, and a REALLY nice LCD is a huge feature, and far more worth my $$$ than a slightly better CPU, or backlit keyboard, or more ram. LCD being usable is the most important feature for me. And while NOWADAYS it's almost unheard of for a laptop to have a BAD LCD, for many generations both Dell & Lenovo didn't offer usable LCD's from the factory IMO.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

With my vision I dont have any issues with the older 1366x768 displays on my older laptops but my wifes Dell 7430 does have a gorgeous display as does my 15 inch Acer Chromebook.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Without my glasses I can't see 1366x768 or 1080p or anything else, with my glasses the older 1366x768 is so large, so grainy, it's unusable. I'm too close to blind to use a computer without my glasses nowadays (yeah, I've got REALLY poor vision).