Fun and games with the Pi 400

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Fun and games with the Pi 400

Post by wove »

The Pi 400 is more fun than a barrel of monkeys. It is really made to just play around with and the ecosystem for Pi is just filled with people running wild off on tangents. Wanna try something weird, well there is a good chance that you will find several people working on it on the PI.

And with that let me say that I am sending this from Microsoft Edge, running on the preview build of Windows 11 running on a Pi 400. Yep no Direct X at all, clueless about secure boot, and Pi's don't need no stinking TPM. However I guess the Pi 400 is a computer built after 2019.
crosscourt

Re: Fun and games with the Pi 400

Post by crosscourt »

If youre using the leaked Win11 version indeed it can run on most any hardware. Unfortunately it will be zapped down the road and Win11 when its released will require DX12 compatibility, secure boot and TPM 2.0. I still think Microsoft is going to relent just a bit and not go so far overboard.
Paul Thurrott on his website has been running the leaked preview version for quite awhile and noticed there were no restrictions.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

This really is not a leaked preview. Microsoft makes a Windows IoT version available for the Pi 3 and Pi 4/400. And a preview version of the Windows 11 is available. What you do is go to the Windows area where IT people go to build deployment images. You download the components needed to create a Windows ARM 64 desktop and use the MS tool to create an iso, and then you use another MS tool to convert the iso into an image you can write to Raspberry Pi media.

Since MS makes a Win 11 IoT preview image for the Pi, I assume they must plan to support the Pi, otherwise why create a specific hardware targeted build. The entire desktop is installed from MS software downloaded from MS servers using MS tools. The process is not different than what an IT department uses to create deployment images.

Trinity running on Raspberry Pi OS is my desktop for the Pi 400. I had been reading that one of the objectives of Win 11 was to improve the user experience on tables and 2 in 1s and I wanted to see if indeed the UI looked tablet friendly and indeed it does.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Win11 for ARM is a bit up in the air right now but ARM users have had a mixed bag with it. The leaked Win11 x86 preview not the official insiders preview seems to be working for most users with no restrictions. Sorry I should have been more specific with my comments.

I dont work with ARM so my comments tend to come out for x86 version before my brain realizes it.
Site Moderator