Graphics card prices are insane

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Graphics card prices are insane

Post by crosscourt »

The combination of cryptomining, demand for gpus during the pandemic and tariffs/added taxes have caused prices to go thru the roof. I was looking at an upgrade but used prices are in the $200-400 range and new prices are in the $500-700 range. PC gaming frankly has become a bit expensive for my taste.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Graphics card prices are insane

Post by tlmiller »

Oh yeah. The RX580 I sold 4-5 months ago for $80 locally used I've seen going for >$200 used now!!!
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Ive got no options at all right now. Mech 5 DLC will be out in May and was hoping to upgrade.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Don't you have something decent right now already? I thought it was like a RX570?
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Yes Ive got a RX570 but thats barely getting me 50fps which for single play is ok but for online play is a bit of a problem. Didnt realize you had changed to a RX 5600XT. Thats the issue with PCs as you are always having to upgrade or get use to turning down settings constantly. Thats where consoles for me have some advantages as yes, their hardware continues to remain the same but the games are optimized for that hardware thus you can live with it a lot longer. PCS offer more options but the cost continues to grow and at some point Id rather spend that cash on games.

I see youre playing We happy few. Its an interesting game that has gotten mixed reactions by many.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, I switched though for reasons of power and heat, not performance. The difference in performance from an RX580 to the RX5600XT isn't DRASTIC (definitely noticeable, not drastic). But dropping 70-watts of power usage & heat generation WAS huge.

We happy few is an odd game. IMO, dev console is REQUIRED to enjoy it. Otherwise you spend 12 hours just looking for bobby pins so that you can fashion a lockpick that gets destroyed after 1 use. No thank you. Using the dev console to make sure you have sufficient supplies to be able to function at a basic level simply makes it playable so you can try to enjoy it. Without dev console, it's utter complete rubbish, hours of drudgery with the very rare fun spot.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thats the way it is with many games today. Anyone remember Myst and how long it took to find things and solve puzzles? Sometimes you have to use trainers just to make a game playable.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

True, and I got it on sale so it was cheap, so I don't mind. But most games anymore I don't bother with for that reason, unless they're ULTRA cheap. I'm also super strict about no double dipping. If a game is released and I have to pay for it, then there should be 0 microtransactions in the game needed. If there are, I'm out, not buying it.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Totally agree as I wont touch microtransactions.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Recent games are a bit of a mixed bag. I played Doom and it was good but frankly not as enjoyable as the original Doom when it first came out.
Mech 5 Mercs was good but honestly the much older Mech 4 Mercs in my opinion was a better game that still looks pretty good today.
There hasnt been much out there that Iv e been interested in but still playing Mechwarrior Online. I demo a lot of games when possible and keep a sharp eye on free offerings from various sites.
Site Moderator