Thinkpads that run Haiku

Discussion of hardware related issues
wove

Thinkpads that run Haiku

Post by wove »

Thinkpad 380 actually ran BeOS release 5 fairly well.

Thinkpad T42 Ran BeOS release 5, a couple BeOS commerical releases with different names after Be folded atd the earliest images of Haiku. Overall the T42 is probably the best Thinkpad I have owned.

Thinkhpad X60
Thinkpad X220 (sound is a real pain to configure)
Thinkpad X240

This last group ran stable enough to be quasi production machines, in that the OS was stable and critical hardware for functioning works, but wifi network is sketchy, graphics lacks acceleration and there is no power management period. The latest beta has generally working wifi and typical hardware support is pretty decent. Internet applications are buggy. Bemail is a very strange email application. Email is handled as files in folders, right click a txt or rtf file, select "send to" add email address and it is sent, income email just becomes a file in whatever folder you choose to send it to.

Haiku do to their limited resources focuses on meeting the requirements of Intel hardware reference platforms. So Haiku typically does best on Lenovo and Apple (intel) hardware, although much like Linux in the early days there are some systems that work fairly well and others that just do not.
crosscourt

Re: Thinkpads that run Haiku

Post by crosscourt »

Its been awhile but Haiku ran fine on my older Dell laptops that are also Intel based. I havent used it since as the experience simply doesnt meet my needs. I also ran BeOS for a time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Thinkpads that run Haiku

Post by tlmiller »

I wish it ran better on real hardware, I bet my Chromebook would run FANTASTICALLY well with Haiku if it worked on it!!