Processor

Intel nomenclature, AMD calls it APU:

Accelerated
Processing
Unit
wove

Re: Dell Latitude E7470

Post by wove »

Thanks. I have never been very good with anacronyms, probably because they come up with so many of them.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Early on IGPs were separate from cpus and placed in different locations on the motherboard. Things got far more integrated as Intel began including the IGP in the 810 chipset but still separate from the cpu. Thats changed today with the AMD APU a great example.
Still remember my 440BX motherboard that had a 3DFX IGP on the motherboard.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Although those early Intel chipset IGP's has ABYSMAL performance. Even when taken into account how long ago it was, it was horrible. But if you didn't care about anything 3d, it was convenient!! I had a couple boards at some point that had built in ATI graphics. Didn't really use it though as the performance was still bad and at the time I was an avid gamer.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

The early Ati onboard graphics were nothing to write home about. As long as the game used Glide, 3DFX was by far the best choice but that changed eventually with cards like the Geforce 256. The 256 was billed as the first GPU with the SDR version a bit disappointing but the DDR version was an excellent product.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

All my x86 hardware has had integrated graphics. I had an old Toshiba that had an AMD APU, and all the Thinkpads have had Intel's intetrated graphics. I had a Thinkpad 380(?) twenty years ago and I do not know what it had, and I am not positive about the X60, but I think it was integrated graphics. All the Macs I have had discrete video cards.

I have never done any gaming, nor any 3d work on a computer, so overall I have never paid much attention to video, beyond just the need for video port, or built in display.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

With the greater demands with multimedia online that use hardware acceleration, IGP performance is a much bigger deal than it used to be.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

I'm still planning on trying to get a laptop with Intel's XE graphics to try out, although I have to admit after seeing a few actual reviews of laptop with XE, I'm NOWHERE near as excited for it as I was. I thought it would perform much better than it appears to so far.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

XE is disappointing but Intel is still a very young gpu maker, so Im looking forward to the future.
Site Moderator