Dell Latitude E7470

Discussion of hardware related issues
crosscourt

Dell Latitude E7470

Post by crosscourt »

Just arrived today and I have to say its amazing. Much faster than my E6440 and when I was updating it went like lightning. Im using Win10 20H2 with it and enjoying the performance. Backlit keyboard, 256gb SSD which is going to be upgraded to a 512gb ssd, 8gb ddr4 and a i5 core 6300u that runs at 2.4ghz but turbo frequency goes to 3ghz. Very quiet, thin and very light compared to my older laptops. 14 inch display which is amazing.
Will be testing it more tomorrow and will test the wifi tonite as I used ethernet to finsh the updates. With shipping it was $285 and its in mint condition.
Bios was quite old so updated that and checked the rest of the drivers.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Re: Dell Latitude E7470

Post by tlmiller »

Probably not something you're worried about, but if you happen to have a WiFi6 router and want the full speed you can get from it, the Intel AX200 card WILL work in that laptop. Obviously, only really useful if you have a wifi6 router though.
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

No wifi6 but Im getting 126mbs right now and thats actually above the speed Im supposed to be getting from Comcast. Multimedia tests went very well so Im waiting for my usb adapter so I can set up my 512gb ssd. The person I bought this from did everything right. He set up the bios in legacy mode, no secure boot and in raid mode for the ssd. He gave me a copy of Win10 with Office but to be honest I removed Office and I prefer FreeOffice.
Very pleased with this laptop and its performance for what I use it for should last me awhile.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

:D For me that bios setup would have been worst possible setup. First thing anything I buy gets done is turn UEFI and turn off legacy mode and CSM. Although I do keep secure boot turned off. And most NEWER laptops require AHCI instead of RAID, as linux doesn't see the controllers if it's in RAID mode (which is weird, since that's a SATA setting, but even NVMe controllers won't be seen if it's set to RAID instead of AHCI).
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Im running Win10 so neither of those will be a problem as Raid mode works even with NVMe drives. I typically use AHCI but he had it Raid already enabled and typically Dell/Intel enable it by default. Wont be running Linux on this laptop and frankly Ive been in Windows about 90% of the time recently.
I have to say its the best laptop purchase Ive made in quite some time.
Site Moderator
tlmiller

Post by tlmiller »

Yeah, in all reality you can make linux run with it in RAID mode, it's literally the drivers simply don't have the controllers hardware ID's. The drivers work just fine, just don't know to load. Speaking of Windows, I should probably boot my Windows install and get the last couple months updates...
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Updating on the 7470 went like lightning. Between the improvements in their process and the speed of the laptop. My days of testing Linux distros is close to over as Im just not using it enough to warrant it. Except for the non-profit and work Im Win10 completely. Quite a turn around from the days when I wanted to get on Linux exclusively. Things change and as I retire Ill be doing tech work again, and more Win10.
Site Moderator
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Just switched over to AHCI from Raid then going into safe mode then rebooting. Working well and it will offer a bit better compatibility down the road and allow for trouble free cloning.
Site Moderator
wove

Post by wove »

Congrats on the new laptop. Nice to hear it is working well and easy to work on and upgrade. I do want to point out that being retired and doing work are mostly mutually exclusive. :)
crosscourt

Post by crosscourt »

Thanks wove. Working for Dell will be a vacation compared to the job I have now as a maintenance manager.
Site Moderator